UV Sterilizers

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Hmm well i can stay i still have it installed and running, and it's still on a timer so it runs 6 to 8 hours a day, can't remember what i set it at. It still pumps water through it so i assume it's working. I haven't had any green tint to the water since using it and no infections or mysterious deaths but my tank has been running smoothly with no additions since winter sometime so maybe nothing to worry about anyway. For me it was a combination of cost and plug n play use.

I had bought a nice stainless steel unit that i think would be more affective in a real outbreak situation but it required plumbing externally and an additional pump and it was nearly as tall as my cabinet and i decided i want ready for that kind of install.

I don't consider it a cure all, but one more layer of prevention, and a way to prevent green water with all the indirect daylight my tank gets, only a foot away from a large window.

Reactions: Cardeater

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I use an oversized UV to eradicate white spot (60mJoules per square centimeter) on my larger tanks which are much harder to chemically medicate. On a closed system you don't need single pass kill as the water recirculates.

White spot is one of larger parasites so costia, velvet, fungal control is possible too. There is a lot of comfort in removing parasites and diseases without chemicals if you have delicate fish or plants.

I don't use aquarium grade UV's.

Reactions: Cal Amari
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store