Vulture “Motta” Catfish- tiny- any info?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
There isnt much i can add to whats been said already.

We love ours hes active and doesnt bother his tankmates. The one thing i was surprised about was his appetite. Everyone comments on how much they eat. Im not sure if its an over misconception or just mine but he doesnt eat like crazy. Takes his fill and keeps it moving. Imo juruense and jags eat way more.

Not sure if it was asked already but what size tank are you planning on keeping it in? Mine was incredibly active. Its somewhat slowed down a bit over time but man it was and is probably the most active fish i currently keep

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't think you are wrong. Mine don't gorge either, been a long time, they did when babies and juvies. Just as you said - now they eat their fill and mind their business.

... but man it was and is probably the most active fish i currently keep
Duh? I feel like I am in a farside cartoon depicting a Bichir-holics Anonymous meeting...

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Thank you all for your input and info, greatly appreciated.
Never seen them this tiny yet! Thank you for these photos very much.
You are welcome- I thought it was pretty cute but assumed it would get massive.:arapaimag

Not sure if it was asked already but what size tank are you planning on keeping it in?
After all of the info I have read, I could not put it in anything less than a 200-250 gallon (750 liters) (so it has a surplus of room, and I always want more than the minimum size tank). So, I have decided to pass on this one, but soon (after the building of an large outdoor pond I have planned) I will be able to reconsider and maybe keep one of these guys.

The only thing is that my LFS will probably sell it to someone with only a 30 gallon, and tell them it can live it’s entire life in something that small (similar to what many stores do with RTC’s), because I know very few hobbiests in my area with anything over a 180.
Thanks again to all :grinno:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
...The only thing is that my LFS will probably sell it to someone with only a 30 gallon, and tell them it can live it’s entire life in something that small...
I am not quite certain of your drift. What are you saying?

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I am not quite certain of your drift. What are you saying?
Sorry, my words got jumbled a little, but to make it more clear- I have heard stories of my LFS selling people fish (large fish) that get 2-3 feet, saying that they can live their entire lives in something like a mere 30 gallon. I used an example of a similar story I have heard multiple times around the internet from many different people around the world, fish stores selling people RT cats and employees giving misinformation about tank size and max size the fish will get to, just for monetary gain- and I know it is not all employees- just some. One of my friends has experienced this head-on with my LFS and a Pacu, saying that it only needs a 50-100 gallon for life. That is why it grinds my gears a bit, because some employees of fish stores all around the world sell these fish like this, and I do not want that to happen to this little guy here, especially because of his apparent small size- an illusion as he will grow quickly as mentioned, due to not many people in my area (pretty tight-knit) not having large enough aquariums.
(Sorry I use too much punctuation) ;)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sorry, my words got jumbled a little, but to make it more clear- I have heard stories of my LFS selling people fish (large fish) that get 2-3 feet, saying that they can live their entire lives in something like a mere 30 gallon. I used an example of a similar story I have heard multiple times around the internet from many different people around the world, fish stores selling people RT cats and employees giving misinformation about tank size and max size the fish will get to, just for monetary gain- and I know it is not all employees- just some. One of my friends has experienced this head-on with my LFS and a Pacu, saying that it only needs a 50-100 gallon for life. That is why it grinds my gears a bit, because some employees of fish stores all around the world sell these fish like this, and I do not want that to happen to this little guy here, especially because of his apparent small size- an illusion as he will grow quickly as mentioned, due to not many people in my area (pretty tight-knit) not having large enough aquariums.
(Sorry I use too much punctuation) ;)
No problem. Thank you for the explanation. I understood this from the prior post. What I didn't understand and still don't is what this infers, what you are trying to say in the essence besides the rather obvious. Do you think you can fix the unfair pet trade by helping merchants move the merchandize?

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
There’s nothing I really can do to fix the unfair trade, except notify people of it and keep them informed on what they are buying. I can try to inform people I know with large enough setups that may be interested that my store has a fish of this stature, and try to pass on some of my (limited) knowledge about rare and monster fish to people I see interested in buying, and make sure they get the facts straight- but that is about it. My original comment was nothing but to hope for the best for this catfish, as many in my area could not properly give it a spacious home. There was no deeper meaning then to call out unfair and decieving things happening around my store- and how it pertains to an undesirable outcome for this particular fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't think you are wrong. Mine don't gorge either, been a long time, they did when babies and juvies. Just as you said - now they eat their fill and mind their business.

Duh? I feel like I am in a farside cartoon depicting a Bichir-holics Anonymous meeting...
J jaws7777 As we say it in Russian, have I stepped on your favorite callister? (= have I poked where it hurts?)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
J jaws7777 As we say it in Russian, have I stepped on your favorite callister? (= have I poked where it hurts?)
Haha the struggle is real !

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store