What canister filter should I buy?

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
IMG_6682.pngIMG_6681.pngIMG_6680.pngIMG_6679.png
I have a 40g breeder (45g) kinda heavy stocked with dirty American cichlids. I had 2 hob filters but one broke and I want to get a canister filter ( I have to for other reasons also so please don’t try to convince me not to lol) what do you think is the best to pair with a hob? Thanks! I’m not a budget and don’t want to deal with another sub sun filter
Also I’m open to suggestions

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
The only one you've listed that I've used personally is the Aqueon QuietFlow. Currently got one running on my 8ft 135gal...had it 2-3 years now. Haven't had any issues with it at all and I'd say it's decent. Not my fav, but I like it and it's been reliable and keeps my tank super clear.

You'll probably get a bunch of FX4 or FX6 recommendations...personally, I think they're highly over rated. Decent filter, but massively overpriced and not THAT much better than filters half or a third of the price. And my least favorite when I have ti pull it apart to clean.

Currently my preference is the Penn Plax Cascade canisters. I've got 4 in various sizes currently running, out of 6 total canister filters on my tanks.

Reactions: Zeon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I use the marineland one, it’s a pain to clean but it does a good job. As long as you have something like the hob to add aeration you’ll be good.

Best thing you can do to help is thin out the cichlid stocking though…

Reactions: Zeon

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I've used alot of canisters and always end up replacing them with fluvals. They are expensive, but I've found canisters are one of the you get what you pay for parts. If you go with the Sicce please let us know how it goes. I love their pumps and the Tidal HOB filters have been the best I've had by far.

Reactions: Deadeye and Zeon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'd like to offer an alternative view
I stopped using cans over 20 years ago, because they are are often, un-user friendly to clean, and thus tend degrade water quality, in the nitrate range.
And at the same time, if cleaned as often as a filter should be, tend to fall apart.
To me
If a hang on back if cleaned regularly (say twice per week) it is a much better option, than a more expensive can if only cleaned once per month, where nitrate build up is concerned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store