I'm starting to suspect some species of Argulus or similar crustacean
J jaws7777
How would i treat for it ?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would first net the fish and get a magnifying glass and take a better look. If it looks like it can be removed, get tweezers and get it out.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
How much damage could i cause if its not a crustacean/worm/parasite/invader from mars.

After removing it should i do anything for the wound ?

Add salt to the tank ? How much ?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Still looks like a broken off anchor worm to me. I have done a bunch of research and cant find anything that resembles it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Well im gonna try and pull whatever it is off. Should i do anything about the wound ?

How much salt do i had to the tank ?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would just see if you can easily remove it. Plus once the fish is out of water with magnifying you should be able to get an idea what it is. I reason I'm hesitant to medicate is all meds to treat argulus/lernia are fairly toxic organophosphates, its like putting bug spray in your tank. You really don't want your hands contacting water/fish after treatment, not to mention affect on the fish itself.

I don't think you can do too much damage removing. Keep in the mind it is close to gill, so be gentle and if it seems like you will do more damage than good; leave be.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
tuff call,, it is not something I have seen before, I would personally let it be for a week or 2 and see what happens long as fish is not bothered with it. before trying anything else.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Still looks like a broken off anchor worm to me. I have done a bunch of research and cant find anything that resembles it.

Sorry for not thanking you about the research, i was preoccupied with having to pull what ever it is off the fish

I would just see if you can easily remove it. Plus once the fish is out of water with magnifying you should be able to get an idea what it is. I reason I'm hesitant to medicate is all meds to treat argulus/lernia are fairly toxic organophosphates, its like putting bug spray in your tank. You really don't want your hands contacting water/fish after treatment, not to mention affect on the fish itself.

I don't think you can do too much damage removing. Keep in the mind it is close to gill, so be gentle and if it seems like you will do more damage than good; leave be.
Ok i really dont know what just happened. Will try my best to explain.

Got the fish out and couldnt tell anything from looking at it with the magnifying glass.

So i tried to pull it off and what first came off was like a brown/orange slime/mucus. I could still see some of the the orange thing attached to the fish so i kept gently trying to get it. After a while i heard a small pop/snap amd it came loose. Too small to even take a pic of. Squeezed it with the tweezers and it felt like a small peice if sand then it kind of crunched/cracked.

Fish is realll stressed out no wound though.

So now what are my next steps

Btw really appreciate this guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store