What's the best/cheapest pond filter media

619aquaponics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hawaii
I am building a diy pond filter for my buddy and was wondering what's the filter media that has the most bang for it's buck. I was thinking on using a garbage can and having an upflow design. For media I was planning on using lava rock and sand

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
Your also going to need foam, Carbon and Bio Balls. You can always improvise. I've seen people use sponges as foam.

619aquaponics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hawaii
But it's not going to be a trickle filter so bio balls would kinda be a waste. Aslo Arvin isn't really necessary and buying replacement carbon would be a pain

Reactions: bogwood

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
Yeah I would skip carbon and bioballs. Some type of mech filtration will be needed, whether its foam, a pad, or poly fiber. You can get ceramic rings relatively cheap, but I would have to say that pond matrix is the best for bio. I love the stuff, but depending on the size of the pond/filter, it can get quite expensive.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Joe M;5139934; said:
Yeah I would skip carbon and bioballs. Some type of mech filtration will be needed, whether its foam, a pad, or poly fiber. You can get ceramic rings relatively cheap, but I would have to say that pond matrix is the best for bio. I love the stuff, but depending on the size of the pond/filter, it can get quite expensive.
X2. But " best and cheapest " rarely go hand in hand. Best is Pond Matrix fir sure. Relatively cheap but not the cheapest

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
I run a garbage pail filter with stacks of poly (sponge) for mech and lava rock ontop for bio. works real well. pond is also moderately planted.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Some koi keepers use lava rocks and sand but a blower is required for cleaning (and lotsa water).
Is the pond indoor or out? What's the stock? Where you located? How big? These ? might help you decide what media is needed.

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
The lava rock and blower idea is the cheapest and most effective. The blower has to be designed with a perforated pvc pipe layout to agitate whole bottom of the filter and a drain to release the pond mud is required after blowing the filter. In addition, you do have to have some kind of pre-filter so the filter won't get clogged with debris from the pond. Good Luck.

619aquaponics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hawaii
kendragon;5140004; said:
Some koi keepers use lava rocks and sand but a blower is required for cleaning (and lotsa water).
Is the pond indoor or out? What's the stock? Where you located? How big? These ? might help you decide what media is needed.
Well my friend want to put bass and panfish in te pond. It will be outdoors and will have roughly 1000 gallons. What exactly is a blower and what's it's purpose? We live in SoCal

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
A blower is a high volume air pump.

Forget the trash can, one of those blue plastic 50 gallon food grade barrels are cheaper and much sturdier. They will take a bulkhead (the plumbing piece that lets you mount a pipe into the barrel) much better. You can also find them with lids that seal which would allow for a low pressure filter.

A sponge / sponges are great as they server the purpose of both mechanical and biological filtration. You could craft some kind of horizontal (paddle) with many holes to compress them during cleaning. Kind of like a butter churn.

I would consider looking for a pool sand filter on craigslist for mechanical filtration and then a separate barrel for biological filtration.

It seems like you can pick up a pond pressure sponge filter for around the $100 range. I don't know if a $100 would be of sufficient size for the pond though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store