What's the best way to position the return from sump?

Phanatik

Feeder Fish
Mar 22, 2011
Socal
I'm going to set up my tank with built-in overflow with a sump and was wondering the best position to aim my return water so it can keep a good steady flow in my tank. I'm thinking if I return through the overflow area, wouldn't I just be cycling the same part of the water over and over again? I'm new to the sump thing so please bear with me. Thanks in advance.

Clift

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
I usually have my return (to the tank) on the opposite side from the intake(to the sump). I've used a tracer dye to track the current and it generally takes up the whole tank after a matter of seconds.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
i have dual corner overflows, so i took 5ft of pvc, drilled 3/8th inch holes in a staggered pattern kinda .*.*.* and it flows very well. a 5000gph spraybar is quite something to see in action, but i always love spraybars, dont look super clean, but very effecient at spreading flow

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
more info would help as far as type of tank (eurobraced, glass, etc) size and amount of flow

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Ideally you want the return directly from the pump. Which means just straight up from the pump, no elbow bends that would restrict and reduce flowrate. However this is most of the time not possible.

Many people place their return just next to the overflow. Thats for convinence. But as far as im concern, as long as the pump is strong enough, the water would be spread out all over the tank instead of just returning to the overflow and cycle again.

Positioning could be anyway depending on what flow type you desire. For a more evenly spread flow, I would suggest returning in on the extreme opposite end of the tank so that most of the water in the aquarium moves from the return to the overflow, back down the sump and to the return.

Bret Signorelli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2024
Ideally you want the return directly from the pump. Which means just straight up from the pump, no elbow bends that would restrict and reduce flowrate. However this is most of the time not possible.

Many people place their return just next to the overflow. Thats for convinence. But as far as im concern, as long as the pump is strong enough, the water would be spread out all over the tank instead of just returning to the overflow and cycle again.

Positioning could be anyway depending on what flow type you desire. For a more evenly spread flow, I would suggest returning in on the extreme opposite end of the tank so that most of the water in the aquarium moves from the return to the overflow, back down the sump and to the return.
This is how I always see it setup , with return and the overflow both at the top of the display tank, but I’m not sure the water on the bottom of the tank is getting circulated

Reactions: AR1

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because I keep rheophillic riverine species, I want to create a highly oxygenated, riverine simulation flow in the tank running from one end of the length tank to the other , and create enough extra turbulence to get that kind of habitat.
Fish species such as Geophagines, Tomocichla, certain Paretroplus or Steatocranus may require such conditions,
of course
severums, anglefish, or Ctenopoma (slack water species) may require much less flow
So for me, along with the effluent pumpage from the sump, I add a couple wave makers along the length of the tank to simulate extra movement.

If you keep lacustrine those fish, this type movement may be less important, or even counter productive.
IMG_0773.jpeg
I feel I need lots of surface agitation, and movement into the lower reaches of the tank.
IMG_5317.jpeg
IMG_7956.jpeg
Wave makers add that turbulence along the 6 ft length.
IMG_4041.jpeg

I realize they often don't quite compensate the stength of flow and walls of moving water
reached in the rivers where I collect my fish, but the tools help.
IMG_6951.jpeg

Bret Signorelli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2024
Because I keep rheophillic riverine species, I want to create a highly oxygenated, riverine simulation flow in the tank running from one end of the length tank to the other , and create enough extra turbulence to get that kind of habitat.
Fish species such as Geophagines, Tomocichla, certain Paretroplus or Steatocranus may require such conditions,
of course
severums, anglefish, or Ctenopoma (slack water species) may require much less flow
So for me, along with the effluent pumpage from the sump, I add a couple wave makers along the length of the tank to simulate extra movement.

If you keep lacustrine those fish, this type movement may be less important, or even counter productive.
View attachment 1550838
I feel I need lots of surface agitation, and movement into the lower reaches of the tank.
View attachment 1550837
View attachment 1550835
Wave makers add that turbulence along the 6 ft length.
View attachment 1550839

I realize they often don't quite compensate the stength of flow and walls of moving water
reached in the rivers where I collect my fish, but the tools help.
View attachment 1550834
Anyone ever have returning water to the bottom of the display tank(and overflow at the top of course) in theory a more thorough water circulation?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To your question.
As you can see by my photos, I prefer the returns above the surface to take advantage of the agitation created, and oxygen induced turbulence at the air water interface.
I have also used venturi tubes/valves to similate extra turbulence and oxygen exchange.
1729188523364.png1729188547333.png

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store