Whiptail Catfish

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
A few weeks ago I got a Peruvian Whiptail Catfish. I’ve been trying to get a Chameleon Whiptail Catfish or relative for a while and I finally got one! This guy was $50 but I finally got him when he was on sale for $29.99!

IMG_8721.jpeg

IMG_8722.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8724.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Nice find! Pseudohemiodon spp.; so rather similar to apithanos.
You'll ideally want a fine sandy substrate to allow the fish to burrow and sift; I would consider sand to be the most crucial aspect of furnishing their tank, and have kept them in tanks with nothing but a 2" layer of it- all else can pretty much be ignored, furniture-wise. Larger pebbles not only prove uncomfortable for the fish, but also seems to increase the risk of bacterial infection.
Pseudohemiodon, and most other larger 'whiptails' (Rhadinoloricaria, Spatuloricaria, Crossoloricaria, Paraloricaria, etc.) require absolutely pristine water for long-term maintenance, along with very high DO and warmer temperatures.
They are also inefficient feeders- choosing to pounce on a food item and spending the next minute or so mouthing it before moving onto the next. I have had several problems trying to feed them in a community tank, and only recommend that they be kept in species-only tanks.
Not a fish for the inexperienced- they may survive for a few months, but oftentimes invariably perish with poor care.

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
Nice find! Pseudohemiodon spp.; so rather similar to apithanos.
You'll ideally want a fine sandy substrate to allow the fish to burrow and sift; I would consider sand to be the most crucial aspect of furnishing their tank, and have kept them in tanks with nothing but a 2" layer of it- all else can pretty much be ignored, furniture-wise. Larger pebbles not only prove uncomfortable for the fish, but also seems to increase the risk of bacterial infection.
Pseudohemiodon, and most other larger 'whiptails' (Rhadinoloricaria, Spatuloricaria, Crossoloricaria, Paraloricaria, etc.) require absolutely pristine water for long-term maintenance, along with very high DO and warmer temperatures.
They are also inefficient feeders- choosing to pounce on a food item and spending the next minute or so mouthing it before moving onto the next. I have had several problems trying to feed them in a community tank, and only recommend that they be kept in species-only tanks.
Not a fish for the inexperienced- they may survive for a few months, but oftentimes invariably perish with poor care.
Hey thank you for the tips. He’s being housed in a 20 gallon until I get some fish out of my 55 but even then may keep him in my 20 for a bit. I have “patches” of sand but he doesn’t seem to hang out in those. Only tends to stay on a flat rock. The tank is heater less but sometimes I put a heater in set to the lower 70’s because the filter never gives enough flow despite cleaning it often. If I could earn enough money more often (as I’m only 13) I would get the tank a bigger filter or stronger filter or a power head. He does pounce for food. He eats well. I make sure to do good water changes. Last water change the water unexpectedly was very hot in the high 80’s to the low 100’s. Unfortunately that caused me to lose my tow Black Redhorse that I was one of the only people if not only that mentioned owning, as well as my only Northern Hogsucker who even then wasn’t eating enough. I also have a sponge filter too. I’m working on getting more sand in the tank from my 55 and I also collect sand from local creeks for both tanks too. I make sure to feed him enough but not too much. He (or she) seems to be doing great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store