What the biggest fish you ever caught?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Have you ever seen one in person or caught one before?
Yeah. We had 50 over 20lbs last year boated. Not to mention if you don't know what you're commenting about you shouldn't comment.

The dorsal fin on a channel is more rounded while the fish pictured has a taller pointed fin.

Granted the picture looks like someone took it with a potato that had Vaseline rubbed on it and didn't take their Parkinson's meds.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah. We had 50 over 20lbs last year boated. Not to mention if you don't know what you're commenting about you shouldn't comment.

The dorsal fin on a channel is more rounded while the fish pictured has a taller pointed fin.

Granted the picture looks like someone took it with a potato that had Vaseline rubbed on it and didn't take their Parkinson's meds.
Clearly I know what I'm talking about if I could properly ID the fish. Trust me you're not the only one that fishes for flatheads I've caught a fair share over 20lbs as well. You said the color was off I know the ones I catch are green and black. I know in the south with those clay based lakes they get that copper tone to them like the one in the picture.

As for the last part of your comment I'm clueless what it means.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Clearly I know what I'm talking about if I could properly ID the fish. Trust me you're not the only one that fishes for flatheads I've caught a fair share over 20lbs as well. You said the color was off I know the ones I catch are green and black. I know in the south with those clay based lakes they get that copper tone to them like the one in the picture.

As for the last part of your comment I'm clueless what it means.
And I know what color the ones I catch are;).

We'll agree to disagree and move on, sound good?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hmm about a 4 foot catfish in a pond. Same pond where I can a 2 foot carp. The carp was when I was with my wife fishing and she wanted to leave early. I guess the carp just ate the bait and didn't give enough pulls for me to notice it. I had a few rods for myself and my wife had two.

The reason why this pond is stocked with giants is because locals there would go fishing in different areas and dump big catfish here if they caught too many to eat I guess. I talked to one guy who was dumping fish in and he said he does it all the time and not to tell anyone since he can get in trouble for it. He said its either this pond or the trash lol.
i don't understand people who think like that, why don't they just leave the fish where they were if they aren't gonna eat them? When I go fishing I only take what we will eat, and the rest get thrown back....in the 3 hours we fished on Wednesday, I caught and released over 20 trout well over the minimum size limit, only keeping 8 between the 2 of us on our stringers.

It feels like people catch a fish and can't fathom what would happen to the world if they just unhooked it and put it back. People keeping fish they don't even want is retarded....lol like "LOOK, there's a fish in the water, we gotta get him outta there quick!!!....we can figure out what to do with it later, but we gotta get it out of the water before all hell breaks loose!!!"

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
And I know what color the ones I catch are;).

We'll agree to disagree and move on, sound good?
Whatever makes you sleep at night pal. But for someone thats talking a big game about catching all these flatheads but cant ID one is interesting. Its a real shame I commented on something I apparently know nothing about. Love to hear what you think it is.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Whatever makes you sleep at night pal. But for someone thats talking a big game about catching all these flatheads but cant ID one is interesting. Its a real shame I commented on something I apparently know nothing about. Love to hear what you think it is.
I never said you didn't know. I made a general statement that you apparently felt attacked from and showing your general insecurity.

I believe it's just a channel.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I never said you didn't know. I made a general statement that you apparently felt attacked from and showing your general insecurity.

Like I said I'm blown away for someone that caught 50+ flatheads over 20lbs can't ID one. Look at the adipose and anal fins they clearly give it away. And the coloration is totally different from a channel.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Like I said I'm blown away for someone that caught 50+ flatheads over 20lbs can't ID one. Look at the adipose and anal fins they clearly give it away. And the coloration is totally different from a channel.
lol tempers flaring in the fishing forum haha

Only one way to be 110% sure, Bandahoot Bandahoot let's see a picture of the caudal fin! But, yea fatboy8 fatboy8 is right, there's no way he'd be able to fit his hand in a Channel cat's mouth at that length. I HAVE seen big older Channels that are amazingly close to a Flathead's coloration, but the head and forked tail are always different, and these are OLD BIG Channels, 30"-plus. Flatheads have a totally flat, roundish-squarish tail fin, so even without the pic of the tail, there's no other NA catfish it could possibly be

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
You can't base it on the anal fin if the anal fin isn't visible.

All the channels we catch are a dark grey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store