First time buyer from aquascape

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Personal friendship aside, here's my $.02...

That fish looked good at the store, few inherent bumps and bruises aside (nothing beyond the scope of what you'd expect from a fish that travelled around the world a few weeks prior). I actually wanted to buy it myself, but was told it was sold repeatedly haha. It ate well and acted properly during my numerous trips to the store.

Shipping is incredibly stressful on a fish, there's no two ways about it. Assuming your tank is an established, properly filtered and aerated, the fish should make a full recovery. Clean water and low stress is a godsend for fish.

For future reference, airport shipping minimizes time in a bag, which typically translates into healthier fish. Try to acclimate fish in low light conditions. Before you open the bag and allow fresh air to enter, have some Prime ready to detoxify the inevitable ammonia spike. Keep the lights off and don't mess with the fish for a few days.

Lastly, muck raking never gets you anywhere. There seems to be errors on both ends. I know Pedro and Aquascape as a whole are going through a rough transition period with new staff and whatnot. Be patient. He doesn't run one of the most successful fish shops in the country by selling sick fish destined for the freezer.

If you ever have an issue and aren't having much luck reaching out to Pedro directly, drop me a line. We speak daily and I'll be happy to facilitate in any way I can. That goes for anyone on here.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012

That fish looked good at the store, few inherent bumps and bruises aside (nothing beyond the scope of what you'd expect from a fish that travelled around the world a few weeks prior). I actually wanted to buy it myself, but was told it was sold repeatedly haha. It ate well and acted properly during my numerous trips to the store.

Shipping is incredibly stressful on a fish, there's no two ways about it. Assuming your tank is an established, properly filtered and aerated, the fish should make a full recovery. Clean water and low stress is a godsend for fish.

For future reference, airport shipping minimizes time in a bag, which typically translates into healthier fish. Try to acclimate fish in low light conditions. Before you open the bag and allow fresh air to enter, have some Prime ready to detoxify the inevitable ammonia spike. Keep the lights off and don't mess with the fish for a few days.

Lastly, muck raking never gets you anywhere. There seems to be errors on both ends. I know Pedro and Aquascape as a whole are going through a rough transition period with new staff and whatnot. Be patient. He doesn't run one of the most successful fish shops in the country by selling sick fish destined for the freezer.

If you ever have an issue and aren't having much luck reaching out to Pedro directly, drop me a line. We speak daily and I'll be happy to facilitate in any way I can. That goes for anyone on here.
Well said.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I did talk to aquascape this morning and they believed it was ammonia burn and recommended 10% water changes daily along with Melafix. Also I did receive an email from Pedro Sunday morning that ended up in my spam. Didn't get a call Friday tho. Well thanks everyone and sorry for my poor attitude. I'll let you all know when it's back to full health.

Last edited:

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015

Just curious, what was it eating when you saw it?
Thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Expect to see ammonia burns again if you ever have a fish shipped, even if its from different vendor.
this is completely wrong haha. I've had dozens of fish shipped and never once experienced an ammo spike in transit. If the person shipping did their due diligence and fasted the fish several days before shipping this is not a problem that will arise.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
this is completely wrong haha. I've had dozens of fish shipped and never once experienced an ammo spike in transit. If the person shipping did their due diligence and fasted the fish several days before shipping this is not a problem that will arise.

You're a little late man, I already went over the fasting the fish before shipping topic. I usually try to call ahead to make sure they fast my fish before they ship. I also stated that its unfortunate that customers would rather rush their fish rather then wait a few days to have it fasted to avoid burns. Anyway, how many of the dozens you had shipped were piranha and what size?

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You're a little late man, I already went over the fasting the fish before shipping topic. I usually try to call ahead to make sure they fast my fish before they ship. I also stated that its unfortunate that customers would rather rush their fish rather then wait a few days to have it fasted to avoid burns. Anyway, how many of the dozens you had shipped were piranha and what size?
piranha no, but I've been in my local LFS's when they unpack P shipments and not one fish is burnt... Just saying I've gotten plecos and several other catfish species both in the mail (plecos are the undisputable Shat machines of the fish world and you know it) and there wasn't a hint of distress due to water quality. I've gotten everything from native NA fish to SA fish in the mail lol (except piranha before you try to call me out on that). Regardless of what type of fish, if they are shipped properly there should be almost NO chance of ammo burn on at most a 2 day trip. Piranhas aren't a special case at all.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
piranha no, but I've been in my local LFS's when they unpack P shipments and not one fish is burnt... Just saying I've gotten plecos and several other catfish species both in the mail (plecos are the undisputable Shat machines of the fish world and you know it) and there wasn't a hint of distress due to water quality. I've gotten everything from native NA fish to SA fish in the mail lol (except piranha before you try to call me out on that). Regardless of what type of fish, if they are shipped properly there should be almost NO chance of ammo burn on at most a 2 day trip. Piranhas aren't a special case at all.
Actually piranha are a special case. They are an aggressive species with sharp a*ss teeth that takes special packaging requirements. Comparing a pleco to a piranha isnt a good comparison at all for more than one reason. For one piranha are usually tranquilized in a special liquid that usually puts them to sleep which in turn stimulates them to the point that it makes them release a lot more poo and piss. Hey that equals more of a chance of an ammo burn. Im not saying itll happen every time but its not unusual to see it happen. I want to point out that size of the fish matters as well.

When you have a dozen piranha shipped to you let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store