baby Hoplias aimara ?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How are they doing together? Any other tankmates?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
ive had then separated with egg crate for most of the time so far , removed it a few times now and observed them closely to make sure nothing happens .
it seems one fish is more aggressive then the other it was flaring its gills and flicking its self around at the other fish so i would put the egg crate back in .
i was reading some info about them here http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4638 today . at the end of the artical it says aimara can be housed together and they may display this type of behavior but not likely to bite . so today i went and collected oak leaves from last fall and added a bunch of these thinking it would help by adding move bottom cover .so far it seems to be working and they are now laying together . no tank mates yet

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
I wouldn't comm just the two of them personally, but I think it's possible
now you got me wanting to get more aimara :D lol . my silver aros defiantly were better with three then two so i totally understand what you mean .

but these leaves seem to be working very well , love the look they give the tank too . and the fish cant see each other to well amongst them . DSC03328.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
JL has like 5 aimaras together lol, it's definitely possible to house multiple together.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
DSC03504.JPG well i decided to give these guys each there own tank . one or the other would always have split up tail fins and i really want them to be great specimens .
i will raise them both for a while and keep the one i like best .

there going strong eating pellets , frogs , minnows , frozen market fish dew worms and even frozen thawed pinkie rats .

i was able to capture an iridescent blue color that i notice every once in a while , depends on the lighting . it shows up with the flash pretty good but even more noticeable with the naked eye and proper lighting . just measured them the other day there about 8 inches now they were maybe 5 or 6 when i got them .

this pic is with no flash notice the blue does not show up.

DSC03531.JPG DSC03530.JPG DSC03529.JPG

DSC03514.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
View attachment 1195293 well i decided to give these guys each there own tank . one or the other would always have split up tail fins and i really want them to be great specimens .
i will raise them both for a while and keep the one i like best .

there going strong eating pellets , frogs , minnows , frozen market fish dew worms and even frozen thawed pinkie rats .

i was able to capture an iridescent blue color that i notice every once in a while , depends on the lighting . it shows up with the flash pretty good but even more noticeable with the naked eye and proper lighting . just measured them the other day there about 8 inches now they were maybe 5 or 6 when i got them .

this pic is with no flash notice the blue does not show up.

View attachment 1195289 View attachment 1195290 View attachment 1195291

View attachment 1195292
They were the only two fish in the tank, you need dithers to have better looking specimens in a comm lol my curupira and odoe used to always looked messed up, the curu was just split fins but bad, the odoe you could see whole bite marks sometimes into the flesh from the wolf, I got my sun cat and haven't seen a bite mark on the odoe that bad since, and the curu only has one split from time to time, the sun cat gets beat a little here and there, but it dispersed it to an amount I can take without adding much bio load, might add other dithers still deciding if I wanna go that route now or just get rid of everything I use as a dither. Probably gonna wait it out till I get a gold wolf in there then decide.

But to each his own, might get one that grows faster in which case you should go for that one lol

Reactions: peter predtank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store