Contemplating a 12.000 gallon tank

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
Hello,

I am contemplating the build of a ~12.000 gallon tank at my future main house. This is a project that will be completed in the next year or two.

I would like to build a 6m X 4m X 2(?)m tank to house my current stock of my 250g tank and allow me to pair them up and breed and still be in a spacious environment reminding of a natural environment with relatively low fish load. I keep Panaque and American cichlids, species under 30cm final size except the Panaque which can reach 40cm with proper care and time. I would like to add a few of the medium sized doradids as well in that new tank, species with small enough mouths not to pose predation or aggression threats.
I would also like to snorkel in this tank from time to time.

Is 2m a good depth or would it be advantageous to go for more(3-4m) or less?
What would the equipment costs be? What are the possible filtration types for such a tank and what would be best at dealing with the large amounts of sawdust produced by Panaque without needing manual cleaning all the time? A sludge settlement tank as pre filter, emptying automatically with a pump to the garden, would be highly advantageous i think?

How could this tank be made more ''natural'', mimicking the natural bodies of water and their filtration so as to increase sustainability? And how could the looks be made more natural, mimicking the river banks instead of having pool like walls? I want a couple glass viewing windows at the longer side only, preferably located towards the middle or bottom of the tank.

This tank will most likely need to be made out of poured, armed cement. How is this sealed in a way that won't be destroyed by the gnawing habits of large Panaque?

As far as lighting, i would prefer to go partly with natural lighting and a few hours of sun. I plan on running many meters of hose deep in the ground for cooling during summer and heating with petrol boiler in the winter. Would this work? What would the heating costs probably be if there is good insulation and the tank is located in the house or a heated atrium connected to the house?

Is it possible to plant trees at the ''banks'' of the tank(above the water level but with the roots allowed to proceeding the tank) or will the roots invariable ruin the tank? Any way to protect the waterproofing from the roots?

Sorry for the many questions. I need to start planning as there will be many more things to plan down the road close when the time comes to lay the concretes

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Hello,

I am contemplating the build of a ~12.000 gallon tank at my future main house. This is a project that will be completed in the next year or two.

I would like to build a 6m X 4m X 2(?)m tank to house my current stock of my 250g tank and allow me to pair them up and breed and still be in a spacious environment reminding of a natural environment with relatively low fish load. I keep Panaque and American cichlids, species under 30cm final size except the Panaque which can reach 40cm with proper care and time. I would like to add a few of the medium sized doradids as well in that new tank, species with small enough mouths not to pose predation or aggression threats.
I would also like to snorkel in this tank from time to time.

Is 2m a good depth or would it be advantageous to go for more(3-4m) or less?
What would the equipment costs be? What are the possible filtration types for such a tank and what would be best at dealing with the large amounts of sawdust produced by Panaque without needing manual cleaning all the time? A sludge settlement tank as pre filter, emptying automatically with a pump to the garden, would be highly advantageous i think?

How could this tank be made more ''natural'', mimicking the natural bodies of water and their filtration so as to increase sustainability? And how could the looks be made more natural, mimicking the river banks instead of having pool like walls? I want a couple glass viewing windows at the longer side only, preferably located towards the middle or bottom of the tank.

This tank will most likely need to be made out of poured, armed cement. How is this sealed in a way that won't be destroyed by the gnawing habits of large Panaque?

As far as lighting, i would prefer to go partly with natural lighting and a few hours of sun. I plan on running many meters of hose deep in the ground for cooling during summer and heating with petrol boiler in the winter. Would this work? What would the heating costs probably be if there is good insulation and the tank is located in the house or a heated atrium connected to the house?

Is it possible to plant trees at the ''banks'' of the tank(above the water level but with the roots allowed to proceeding the tank) or will the roots invariable ruin the tank? Any way to protect the waterproofing from the roots?

Sorry for the many questions. I need to start planning as there will be many more things to plan down the road close when the time comes to lay the concretes
Is this another troll thread?

Reactions: rodger

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
The place is not set yet. I plant to know in about 6months to a year max. But then the build will begin as well, so I need to have a good idea on the questions I asked to see its feasibility and better integrate it in the design

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Not sure about that budget.

I've seen a few threads on here for large tanks (around 1,000-1,500 gallons) and they are easily into the $20-30k range. Not saying a budget build isn't possible but I think you're going to be well over $30k for a 12,000 gallon tank.

I remember seeing somewhere that they guy who built a 10,000 gallon tank had over $100k into it.

Just trying to be realistic here, not trying to discourage you from building this monster tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store