Contemplating a 12.000 gallon tank

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Sounds like a fantastic deal to me. I would jump on that if you can afford it and the ongoing maintenance costs/time. It would be a dream come true for any of us.

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
I can afford it at this price but i need to wait 6-12months to get things ready for building it. Just knowing that price, is great! His offer is long standing, so i will take him up on it as soon as the place is ready.

I will ask him more on maintenance costs next time. He said they are not much but its better to know a rough figure. I will try to minimise the need for lighting by using natural light(lights on only for a few hours after sun goes down) and cool the tank using underground tubing + water cooling of the dome above the tank(it will be in an atrium in zone 10). The heating should be helped by the heating of the dome from the sun and house heating, and vice versa. Water changes will be by water use for garden irrigation. Hopefully the maintenance costs are not much higher than the house would use anyway.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Not sure about that budget.

I've seen a few threads on here for large tanks (around 1,000-1,500 gallons) and they are easily into the $20-30k range. Not saying a budget build isn't possible but I think you're going to be well over $30k for a 12,000 gallon tank.

I remember seeing somewhere that they guy who built a 10,000 gallon tank had over $100k into it.

Just trying to be realistic here, not trying to discourage you from building this monster tank.
House of Sam.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Is there a public aquarium you can contact, they would be able to advise on the build, flow, heating and filtration systems requires. I would also engage the services of a consulting/structural engineer to ensure the structure will stand the pressures it must deal with, if it explodes it's unlikely an insurance company will pay for an under designed system. Lastly I would think if one day I would want to sell the house, and perhaps the new owner is not too keen on keeping a 12000g system in their home. This may make your house difficult to sell, unless you remove the structure, at a cost.
My 2c worth....

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I'm in the process of building a giant fish tank too the only thing killing it right now is this bloody economy and me not able to get a job above $10.00 a hour.

I currently ordered the first half of this fish tank stand that will suport a 733 gallon acrylic fish tank. This first phase of my mega tank project is me getting a six foot by three foot fish tank stand for my old 75 gallon tank. As soon as I move I plan to have a eight foot section of stand built to add to the six foot stand. Then I will order the massive 733 gallon tank from this tank builder China.

My grand plan I'm working right now which is right now is to find a piece of land or a existing house with some acreage. I then plan to build a steel garage or a steel room on a seven inch to one foot thick concrete pad. The giant fish tank would be ether a 2400 gallon acrylic hexagon tank or a giant 14 foot long 3500 gallon acrylic tank. As of now I think I'm going to go the large acrylic tank route after talking with this fish tank builder in China.

I have drawn up proposals for this steel building and room idea with tanks ranging in size from 5000 gallons to 70,000 gallon tanks. These giant fish tanks though would be made out of pored concrete.

In fact today I did a little looking around and concrete in my area goes for $115 dollars a cubic yard with free delivery for orders over 6 cubic yards. This means it is easier to order from a cement mixer then to mix it your self once you have a project larger then 6 cubic yards.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I'm in the process of building a giant fish tank too the only thing killing it right now is this bloody economy and me not able to get a job above $10.00 a hour.

I currently ordered the first half of this fish tank stand that will suport a 733 gallon acrylic fish tank. This first phase of my mega tank project is me getting a six foot by three foot fish tank stand for my old 75 gallon tank. As soon as I move I plan to have a eight foot section of stand built to add to the six foot stand. Then I will order the massive 733 gallon tank from this tank builder China.

My grand plan I'm working right now which is right now is to find a piece of land or a existing house with some acreage. I then plan to build a steel garage or a steel room on a seven inch to one foot thick concrete pad. The giant fish tank would be ether a 2400 gallon acrylic hexagon tank or a giant 14 foot long 3500 gallon acrylic tank. As of now I think I'm going to go the large acrylic tank route after talking with this fish tank builder in China.

I have drawn up proposals for this steel building and room idea with tanks ranging in size from 5000 gallons to 70,000 gallon tanks. These giant fish tanks though would be made out of pored concrete.

In fact today I did a little looking around and concrete in my area goes for $115 dollars a cubic yard with free delivery for orders over 6 cubic yards. This means it is easier to order from a cement mixer then to mix it your self once you have a project larger then 6 cubic yards.
Do you have a contact for the builders in China?

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
The company I was talking to was a sales Representative named Manner Yu Mirror Plastic in China he is very good and helpful at giving fish tank quotes.

Here is his company https://mirrorplastic.en.alibaba.com/

When you ask about shipping ask him to ship it to the nearest sea port near your house it will save a ton of money on shipping.

Tell him you are from Monster Fish Keepers and heard someone talking about his company's tanks.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
The company I was talking to was a sales Representative named Manner Yu Mirror Plastic in China he is very good and helpful at giving fish tank quotes.

Here is his company https://mirrorplastic.en.alibaba.com/

When you ask about shipping ask him to ship it to the nearest sea port near your house it will save a ton of money on shipping.

Tell him you are from Monster Fish Keepers and heard someone talking about his company's tanks.
Oh ok.. So it's legit?

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I remember reading that if you order the tank from the Website it would be covered under the website's policy's if you do it with the website. The tank prices were not really crazy low but they were lower then other US tank makers. And they were one of only three tank builders that emailed me back out of emailing me 20 different tank builders.

The trouble I had was when I went to order the giant tank form the company my family got mad at me and told me not to buy a 300 gallon tank in till we moved out of our existing house. So I never got to test if it was real or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store