Turtle in outdoor pond?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Turtles can breath through their lungs, through their mouths and yes their butts, It's quite well documented, I read it a lot.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would like to know if turtles do ok outside in the UK.my pond is over 5 foot deep.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U need at least 36 inches deep substrate to hibernate turtles,just bring them in during the winter.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
U need at least 36 inches deep substrate to hibernate turtles,just bring them in during the winter.
I don't really have the room for another large tank for them.
A heron has taken some of my koi and I was toying with the idea of turtles for the future.
If i can create a substrate that deep would it be a feasible option then?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
A heron has taken some of my koi and I was toying with the idea of turtles for the future.
I think if you had good aeration for them and plenty of mud or other substrate for them to bury themselves in then sure. 5 ft down should be pretty stable for them temperature wise.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I like it. Good stuff

I t would help validate that if we knew where it was coming from though. Anyone can put anything on the internet
That was just the first post on Google. You can find a bunch of articles by searching us native water turtle hibernation.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I would like to know if turtles do ok outside in the UK.my pond is over 5 foot deep.
Some good articles can be found at your local wildlife/game websites. They will specifically explain that stuff on your native turtle species. I'm sure they have the same info available in the UK

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I've been looking for this great article on this. I learned about this a few years back. I found a snapper at the end of the summer that had been hit by a car. I fostered it until spring. I was looking for info on when they generally come out of hibernation. This article had all the info. I'm going to keep looking and I'll post it when I find it.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just get a few reeves turtles,they don't need much room when u take them in during winter,u can keep herons awAy from your pond by adding a somewhat realistic heron statue(their territorial)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store