Turtle in outdoor pond?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for everyone's feedback on the turtles.

I tried the plastic heron once,it didn't work for me.The real one still came.We did have a wire around the pond.That worked for a while.I think the herons must be quite intelligent, they always seem to find a way.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Make it difficult for them to find a area to stand by planting hardy habiscus and red Japanese maples around the pond .

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks for everyone's feedback on the turtles.

I tried the plastic heron once,it didn't work for me.The real one still came.We did have a wire around the pond.That worked for a while.I think the herons must be quite intelligent, they always seem to find a way.
You have to build a square wood-frame and make a "checkerboard" of wire w/ little squares a few inches wide so that when they try to land in the pond they stand on wire and fly away immediately. My aunt has a Koi pond in Florida and they have 10x more predatory birds than you and I combined and it works wonders......haven't lost a fish in decades from predation. They have a privacy fence on the yard but it will also work on other mammals that eat fish too
thGVQR52E3.jpg s-l1000.jpg heron-pond-netting.jpg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
A few 2x4's, a roll of wire, a saw, a screw-gun/drill, and a carpentry staple gun will save save you a lot of $$$ as opposed to buying one of the fancier ones. The regular mesh netting might be cheap Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for the tips.
I need to make some changes to the pond anyway.I have a one year old daughter and it won't be long before she is running round the garden.I need to baby proof it and heron proof it.
I may end up building around the pond to raise it
It's flush at ground level at the moment

DSC_0085~2.jpg

I was thinking about raising it and building a pergola over it.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
A few 2x4's, a roll of wire, a saw, a screw-gun/drill, and a carpentry staple gun will save save you a lot of $$$ as opposed to buying one of the fancier ones. The regular mesh netting might be cheap Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
Yeah thanks Frank.
I'm a carpenter anyway,so knocking something up won't be to much trouble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store