1000 gallon plywood aquarium

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
I decided to take on a crazy project of building a 12' long by 4' deep by 36" tall aquarium. The build will start in the next couple of days and I plan on posting pictures from framing all the way to planting and stocking. Because this is my first "monster" aquarium, I would love some constructive criticism and suggestions as I go.

The stand will be built on this design

The glass front should be here on Tuesday and is 10' x 3' x 3/4"

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
I am currently researching pumps and required water flow. I will have ~1,000 gallons of water and plan on plumbing to a location under the stairs ~15 feet away. I was planning on using 2" gravity drain and pump on the intake. Research indicated a 2" PVC Sch 40 pipe will handle 2,200 gph gravity drain, 7,650 gph at around 40-100psi. Looking at "worse" case, a 1,000 gallon fresh water aquarium would need 4,000 to 6,000 gph flow and I would require 2 x 2" drains. My current idea is to pump this all into a 55 gallon barrel full of K1's.

What do you all suggest for plumbing requirements and any pumps you would all recommend?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I am so excite you would think I am doing it. Will mark this as a watched thread to keep track of your progress.

Reactions: TLengert

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
You really are going big or going home:p
Reading that you seem to be well preped, but to me 3/4" thick glass seems a bit thin for a 10' span? Maybe you've done some calculations and worked out it'll be OK, but I'd go thicker, or at least make sure the tank is built like a tank, to avoid any bowing.
As far as filtration, what's your plan for mechanical? And for a tank this size youll require a lot of k1, that could get pricey. Another option is to have both k1 and another bio media, something bulky and cheap.
And my final question, what's the stock?!?

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
I was a fair bit concerned about the recommendation from the shop on the 3/4" based on my research. The owner of the shop has a 12' x 4' x 4' and it has 3/4" panels with reinforcement on the top. He figured that size if tank is the max supported size you would want to go. So mine being 10' long and 3' tall I should fall under what the "pro" recommends. I will have very strong bracing on the top and everyone calls me the king of overkill so hopefully there won't be any issues.

I plan on using 1 55gallon barrel with K1 which will flow into a 20 gallon purification tank. The purification tank will have sponges, lava rock, etc. to help clean the water. I will also have a RO/DI dripping into this tank with a drain dripping out of the 55 gallon barrel. This will ensure the water is always being refreshed.

As for stock, I plan on having a fairly heavily planted aquarium and angel fish. It has been over a year but I was breeding angel and dwarf gourami fish for a few years. Understandably that was in 120 gallon tanks and this is 1000 gallon aquarium so I am open to suggestions :)

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
1000 gallons for angels? That will be a hecj of a set up. Have you worked out any designs for the tank itself yet?
Haha well Angel's are a given. I am a few months off from beginning the stocking process so I am currently researching options.

The design I have is heavily based around the stand design. I will have pictures posted later today with the area it is going into. That will explain a lot as the walls will be part of the build.

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
So the fun begins IMG_20160117_211954.jpg

Spent the day buying $400 worth of lumber and cleaning out the spot for the aquarium. Desk will be sold off for a glass desk I will build after building the aquarium. I just realized the ceiling might require some sort of protection against the moisture. I want to keep the ceiling open above the aquarium for the added clearance so sound proofing insulation will come down and some latex paint will go up.

While watching some TV, I tossed together a list of some potential residents for the aquarium. Keep in mind, I am building the filtration to handle ~4,000 gallons per hour to provide a safety factor depending on the waste requirements of the fish:

- Acei Cichlid
- Altum Angel
- Angelfish
- Banded Gourami
- Bluefin Notho
- Cardinal Tetra
- Clown Loach
- Croaking Gourami
- Denison Barb
- Disk Tetra
- Dragon Goby
- Dwarf Gourami
- Ghost Shrimp
- Gibbicep Pleco
- Golden Nugget Pleco
- Honey Gourami
- Kissing Gourami
- Lyretail Swordtail
- Platinum Blue Angelfish
- Reedfish
- Siamese Algae Eater
- Silver Dollar
- Yellow Regal Cichlid

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I agree that you'll probably want some form of mechanical filtration. I would plumb the overflows to drain into 1 55G barrel that has 3 or 4 large (32") 100 to 200 micron filter socks. The more socks you have the less frequently they will clog and need to be cleaned. That should cover your mechanical filtration. Check out McMasterCarr or dudadiesel for socks. I would then plumb that barrel to a second barrel that contained your bio-media, your heaters and return pump. You could skip the barrels and try to find an old tank off craigslist or just use a large Rubbermaid stock tank.

It's always a good idea to run two smaller pumps versus one large pump. This redundancy is good insurance in case of pump failure; you'd be SOL if you were only running one pump and it fails, but if you were running two, the other could keep your system up and running. I would go with 2 Laguna Max-Flo 2900s. If you design the system with minimal head, you could make it really efficient. The less the pumps have to work to push water vertically, the more flow you can get with less watts. The Max-Flow 2900s will each do 2,245GPH @ 5' head on just 112 watts, so in total you'll have 4,490GPH on just 224 watts. I would use a minimum of 1.5" plumbing on the return lines for each pump.

The size of the heater required will depend in large part on the lowest room temps the tank will be in. If the difference in air temps and tank temps is 10F or less, you should be ok running 1 to 2 watts per gallon. If the difference is going to be greater than 10F, I would suggest running 3 to 4 watts per gallon. With a system as larger as yours, you will likely need a dedicated circuit(s) just for your heaters. Keep in mind that you don't want to draw more than 1,800 watts on a 20 Amp circuit (using the rule of thumb that you should not exceed 75% of the circuits max capacity). You absolutely do not want the heater to have to struggle for half the day to achieve your desired set temp. Overworking heaters is never a good idea. Based on the pic you posted, it looks like you have an HVAC duct that you could tap into which would help reduce the amount of wattage in aquarium heaters you'll need to heat the tank.

You should try to build fairly tight fitting lids to reduce evaporation and to help keep heat in the tank (which is basically one in the same). You may need to run a dehumidifier if the tank temps are going to be much higher than the room temps otherwise you might end up having issues with mold. Medium sized units draw ~300-500 watts whereas larger units can draw > 600+ watts. Just throwing that out there to keep in mind the number of dedicated circuits you may need.

I like your stocklist. Just a head's up that the Silver Dollars may eat your plants...the SDs I've had loved to munch on anything green (mine even chew on fake plastic plants).

Looking forward to seeing your build. Please post lots of pix =)

SingAlongWithTsing

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Inland Empire
Pump Suggestion:
Jecod/Jebao DCT 12000:
Power: 105-watt, Max flow: 3962GPH; Max-head: 16.4 ft
Has 10 speed modes too.

and yeah like aldiaz33 aldiaz33 said, a rubbermaid stock tank (largest size they come in is 300gals) could be a good choice for the sump. Tractor Supply carries them. ZoroTools too (i think they have an ebay page and they do free shipping on the stock tanks)

You could make lids out of polycarbonate roofing panels, HomeDepot sales them in 8' x 2' sheets. They're light weight and durable

Reactions: DIFish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store