1000 gallon plywood aquarium

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
Sorry for the lack of updates. The movers damaged the glass with scratches and broken corners so I am currently getting the glass repaired. On a positive note, the lights have come in.

20160331_195137.jpg 20160331_194514.jpg 20160331_194244.jpg

Box car willy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
Winnipeg
First, PL4000 no longer exists and is replaced with PL400. PL400 is NOT a good adhesive so anyone else building a plywood aquarium buy the PL Premium as PL400 WILL pull apart and the glue will fail not the wood.
View attachment 1166936

Here is a picture with the 50% solids epoxy which is designed to penetrate the wood and waterproof from the inside out.
View attachment 1166937
View attachment 1166938
View attachment 1166939

First coat of 100% solids epoxy is on the back wall.
View attachment 1166940

Glass should be here end of the week then I can put the glass inside the tank and finish the front wall.
Did you put any thing in the seams or do I plan to ??

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
B Box car willy Yes I fiberglassed the second layer of plywood to ensure everything is well sealed. There should be next to no give, other than the front, as the sides and back only have 2x4's between them and the concrete walls.

T theokie The lights are Atlantik V3 Pendant with "fresh water" and "Discus" spec LED's. I powered all 6 on to test and wow, the tank will for sure glow!

Box car willy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
Winnipeg
B Box car willy Yes I fiberglassed the second layer of plywood to ensure everything is well sealed. There should be next to no give, other than the front, as the sides and back only have 2x4's between them and the concrete walls.

T theokie The lights are Atlantik V3 Pendant with "fresh water" and "Discus" spec LED's. I powered all 6 on to test and wow, the tank will for sure glow!
I'm in the middle of starting my own 12 by 4 by 3 tall would u recommend using the fiber glass iv seen some guys just use epoxy and have good luck then I see guys fiber glass the hole inside in layers then epoxy on top ? Everyone has there own way but I'd like to hear of the people who still have them running after 5 or more years ! I'm building mine in the wall in my basement I want it last cost isnt the issue I just want it done right !

TLengert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2016
B Box car willy Well the key here is overkill is often under appreciated. For starters, I wouldn't use PL400 and would use PL Premium as it will hold a lot better. I used 2 different types of epoxy, one that is 50% solids and designed to soak into the wood and waterproof it, and the other is 100% solid for sealing and adding rigidity. As for fiberglass, I did fiberglass all the edges to help strengthen. This was overkill for me as I back on to concrete walls and there should be little to no movement in the tank. One thing to note, I was warned against using fiberglass resin as it dries hard and will crack if bent where 100% solids epoxy has some flex. I did use fiberglass and resin on the front outside wall as I want it as hard as possible while the inside of the front wall is epoxy and fiberglass. I will have some more pictures coming soon of the top and bottom header for the front of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store