Accidentally got into Africans now need some advice.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Wow! Yes, elaborate is one word for it! So cover and hiding places=babies. Cool this should be interesting, although I have plenty of experience with predators, puffers and SA cichlids... breeding fish has not been something I have had.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Close up the caves...they like spaces they can barely fit into. Make a pile and let them find cracks themselves. I don't like flat rocks because they mess up the pile and don't look natural.

We usually buy extra unsexed juveniles and weed out extra males as they mature and cause trouble.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
In a wide open tank, my blue fish will own the whole tank. Causing every one to hide.

In a heavily covered tank, he hides, most of the time.

Out of sight, out of mind, in conjunction with his 2.7 second
Attention span seams to work in a coed tank.

This is my 4th habitat, all have had problem areas.
How easy is it to clean. With 40 fish?

A favorite hide out in a area that is a bottle neck.

My males have locked jaws, and established a hierarchy.
The lesson are learned, and as long as they can HIDE. With out being discovered, all is well. In a Solid one entrance, defendable cave/bunker.
The alpha male is mostly interested in the females. They can kill each other.
Expecially in a open tank, or one with out good avenues of escape.

1452638879111.jpg

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
This is my no means a finished process but I like the look of this as a skeleton. The 3 spires should break up sight lines well and there are lots of cave at the base. I still have lots of smooth roundish stone that I took out... would there be any benefit to piling these up at the bases of the spires or is this enough rock work? Thanks again

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would double or triple the rock work.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Wow! Seriously?? That would be more rock than water.. the picture might not give a great cross view but that is a quarter to a third of the tank space..

IMG_3149.JPG

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
For mbuna you want to fill the tank with rock to the waterline...or at least 1/3 the height of the tank. What you have there would be more of a peacock and hap set up.

Each male will want to claim a spot on the substrate surrounded (2 sides) by rocks taller than him. Females will use the pile overhead as a maze to lose the males when being chased.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store