Accidentally got into Africans now need some advice.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
At first light, at 5:00 am, my two alpha males are sleeping/ side by side. This quite common to see. When I turn the lights on.
I went with plastic as a method to save water volume.

20160922_044240.jpg

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
They both started out as 1/2" fry. They have grown up together. The blue one use to chase him around. The yellow one is now bigger, and does not run and hide any more.

tonyrone

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
Nice set up, just a helpful tip though, those mbuna cichlids are pure evil towards peacock and haps, I recently got rid of 35 of them for 50 bucks cause they were terrorizing in my 150, they were all 4 to 7 inches and yes yellow labs breed like rats... smh I miss them but at least once a week I was coming up with a dead fish, they haven't been in my tank for going on a month and haven't lost one fish

IMG_20160906_114616.jpg

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Right, thanks for the input guys. The plastic is a fantastic idea for saving space as I was worried putting all the rock in that I was running out of water! But this is kind of a display tank For the misses (she has very kindly put up with my 7ft predator tank in the front room for a long while) and she wanted something natural and beautiful, she loved the rock spires and plastic wasn't well received as an idea lol.

Right confession time.. I figured all African cichlids were called Mbuna as a collective term like puffers or snakeheads... I will get someone to slap me very hard for my ignorance later.
I have got a rough stocking list and most of them aren't Mbuna at all and are mostly peacocks!

I haven't work out viability of obtaining all these yet or numbers but here is the short list:
Fish plan.

5 Kyoga Flamebacks
4 blood dragon peacock/ fire fish
4 red blue OB peacock
3 yellow labs
2 pindani
1 blue peacock

Rock kribensis
Labibochromis hongi Sweden
Psuedotrophus red red

Would he current tank set up work for these type of fish?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Nice set up, just a helpful tip though, those mbuna cichlids are pure evil towards peacock and haps, I recently got rid of 35 of them for 50 bucks cause they were terrorizing in my 150, they were all 4 to 7 inches and yes yellow labs breed like rats... smh I miss them but at least once a week I was coming up with a dead fish, they haven't been in my tank for going on a month and haven't lost one fish

View attachment 1205883
Interesting, I found peacocks, squabbling, fin bashing, with each other.
I have a north American sunfish. In with my mbuna. He has not even been fine nipped.
The only time I see problems devolope, is when the food supply is limited, or right before a female spawns.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Right, thanks for the input guys. The plastic is a fantastic idea for saving space as I was worried putting all the rock in that I was running out of water! But this is kind of a display tank For the misses (she has very kindly put up with my 7ft predator tank in the front room for a long while) and she wanted something natural and beautiful, she loved the rock spires and plastic wasn't well received as an idea lol.

Right confession time.. I figured all African cichlids were called Mbuna as a collective term like puffers or snakeheads... I will get someone to slap me very hard for my ignorance later.
I have got a rough stocking list and most of them aren't Mbuna at all and are mostly peacocks!

I haven't work out viability of obtaining all these yet or numbers but here is the short list:
Fish plan.

5 Kyoga Flamebacks
4 blood dragon peacock/ fire fish
4 red blue OB peacock
3 yellow labs
2 pindani
1 blue peacock

Rock kribensis
Labibochromis hongi Sweden
Psuedotrophus red red

Would he current tank set up work for these type of fish?
Limit fish to only one species, of any color.
Blue, red, yellow, black, white.

A dragons blood, red pseudo trophus are going to fight.
A blue mbuna, and a blue peacock are going to fight.

tonyrone

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
Not.... I have my 150 stocked with 12 frontosa, red empress, lemon Jake, fusco, vc10, ob's, venustus, livingstonii, blue dolphin moori, silverarowana, jardini, African clown knife, and since taking those mbunas out I do t have one fish with a nipped fun, so I beg to differ

IMG_20160923_073006.jpg

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Yes since you took the mbuna out. Many colored peacocks, I have no experience with.

Your low rock, centered habitat. Will keep mbuna consentrated in a tight group, with no clean cut territorial lines.
Their going to fight as they need 12 square inches of private property.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store