Albino senegal question

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Now keep in mind that dr. B is a better info giver than me ..
Don't sell yourself short, firsthand experience is a valuable resource. And you just confirmed what I'd heard about albino senegals typically staying in the 8-10" range.
Out of curiosity, what are some of the smaller fish you guys have kept your bichirs with (if any)?

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I had a senegal, not albino, for four years before I had to rehome (long story) him and he only reached 9 inches in that time. However, he was kind of a rescue as he was missing both pectoral fins when he arrived at the store I worked at and was badly burned from ammonia during shipping. That may have effected his growth rate. But within six months he went from a measly 1.5 inches to 5 inches. The only thing I was able to keep with him that he didn't eat were clown and angelicus loaches. I had rosies in there with him for the first three months and didn't think he would be able to eat them as they were much larger than his head. I came home from work one day to find my school of 8 had gone down to six and "the friend eater" had two fat lumps in his belly. At this time he was only about 4.5 inches and the rosies were about 2 inches. . . so . . . ya. Rosies went back to the store and I tried scissor tail rasboras, as they were larger and faster and he ended up eating two of those after about a month. After that, I quit trying schooling fish and just kept to the loaches.

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Yikes. It was good of you to take him in in that condition though. Not a lot of people would have. Shame about the schooling fish though. I suppose I should do some more reading up on compatible tank mates.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a soft spot for broken things =D

The fins must have not been as damaged as I thought though, as they did regrow. It was hard to tell what the damage was when he was so tiny. My zebra danios were almost as big as he was at the time. They're really fun fish and I actually enjoyed just having him in the tank, so it wasn't too bad to not have many mates for him.

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I have a soft spot for broken things =D

The fins must have not been as damaged as I thought though, as they did regrow. It was hard to tell what the damage was when he was so tiny. My zebra danios were almost as big as he was at the time. They're really fun fish and I actually enjoyed just having him in the tank, so it wasn't too bad to not have many mates for him.
=D
I wouldn't mind keeping a bichir solo, but I answer to "the overlord", and "the overlord" wants color ^^;
I keep hearing mixed things, people saying that they keep congo tetras and butterfly fish with their bichirs (maxing out at only 4-5 inches) and then folks saying their 6 inch fish became supper.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Individual fish will behave differently too, so it's hard to give a definitive ruling on it. I have heard positive things about keeping butterfly fish with them as well, never tried it myself though after losing so many.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
U can keep loads of fish with bichirs I have kept many over the years the only ones iv ever found that don't work well is cichlids/oscar ... Gold fish and small things like Molly's etc.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
And I say dr. B is better to listin to than me cause he is more experienced than I am ... When I started gettin into bichirs he was one that I listined to along with a few others .... Witch I still listin to there advice lol

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
And I say dr. B is better to listin to than me cause he is more experienced than I am ... When I started gettin into bichirs he was one that I listined to along with a few others .... Witch I still listin to there advice lol
Real wisdom lies in knowing you will always have more to learn. So I bow to the experience of everyone who's posted thus far.
Speaking of experience, did you introduce the mollies and smaller fish while they were still bigger than the bichir or when the bichir was larger?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my albino senegal has slowed considerably in growth since I've had him for a year. He's pushing MAYBE 7-8" at best right now, I got him at 3ish inches. Like Dr. B said, you'll be good for a long while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store