All Variants/Morphs of P. Senegalus?

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
Is there a list of all currently known varieties of P. Senegalus (minus short bodies)? I'm trying to catch em all.

So far, I know of:

Regular
Regular Longfin
Golden
Golden Shortbody
Golden Longfin
Golden Shortbody Longfin
Platinum
Platinum Longfin
Albino
Albino Longfin
Albino Xanthic
Albino Xanthic Longfin
Marbled
Nigerian
Turkana

What other variants are out there?

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
i believe Hao Hao he has all of them already :ROFL:probably can best answer for you but for wild wise, you want different catch location as well? since you put nigerian, turkana cus other area do have them too.

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
i believe Hao Hao he has all of them already :ROFL:probably can best answer for you but for wild wise, you want different catch location as well? since you put nigerian, turkana cus other area do have them too.
Are there significant differences in appearance between the catch locations?

I listed Turkana because it has a very different appearance vs normal sens, and Nigerian because it seems to be the most readily available wild.

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
Are there significant differences in appearance between the catch locations?

I listed Turkana because it has a very different appearance vs normal sens, and Nigerian because it seems to be the most readily available wild.
can't say yes or no but if you pay so much attention to them you might see a difference?

It's like you can say lapradei vs bichir bichir, with new hobbiest without the train eye or a reliable source, you might not know the real difference.

unlike turkanas - you can really see the difference even without knowning.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I gave up on collecting them. I'm just sticking to what I like most. :ROFL:

Is there a list of all currently known varieties of P. Senegalus (minus short bodies)? I'm trying to catch em all.

So far, I know of:

Regular
Regular Longfin
Golden
Golden Shortbody
Golden Longfin
Golden Shortbody Longfin
Platinum
Platinum Longfin
Albino
Albino Longfin
Albino Xanthic
Albino Xanthic Longfin
Marbled
Nigerian
Turkana

What other variants are out there?
Let's see for captive bred (excluding body types) I have seen:
Regular, Golden, Albino, and Platinum (all 4 have longfin variations)
Marbled (closest thing to a legit Xanthic if you can find a less marbling specimen)
Albino Marbled

Just a heads up, albino and golden have a variety of shades too.
Some albinos can be yellowish, orangish, or pinkish, or white.
Some golden can brownish (light and dark), orangish, and almost yellowish white.

some platinum can be creamy/yellowish white (generally labeled as leucistic), white white (generally labeled as platinum).
Indonesia loves to separate leucistic/platinum senegals but IMO, they are the same thing just comes in different shades (They are priced slightly different). Generally speaking, they get whiter as they grow bigger.

As for the wild caught variant:
I generally like to split them up as West African senegals and East African senegals.
West African senegals generally include: Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Congo, etc. Those generally look the same to me.I don't really see any significant difference.

As for East African: Most popular one I'm aware of is Lake Turkana ones. Those are probably the only wild caught senegals that have a different shape and get much larger than their West African counterpart. Recently, Japan has been trying to get Senegals from Nile River too so that'll be interesting to see if those are similiar to the Lake Turkana since it's in the East too.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
can't say yes or no but if you pay so much attention to them you might see a difference?

It's like you can say lapradei vs bichir bichir, with new hobbiest without the train eye or a reliable source, you might not know the real difference.

unlike turkanas - you can really see the difference even without knowning.
I'd probably just see differences between individual fish at that point haha.

I gave up on collecting them. I'm just sticking to what I like most. :ROFL:

Let's see for captive bred (excluding body types) I have seen:
Regular, Golden, Albino, and Platinum (all 4 have longfin variations)
Marbled (closest thing to a legit Xanthic if you can find a less marbling specimen)
Albino Marbled

Just a heads up, albino and golden have a variety of shades too.
Some albinos can be yellowish, orangish, or pinkish, or white.
Some golden can brownish (light and dark), orangish, and almost yellowish white.

some platinum can be creamy/yellowish white (generally labeled as leucistic), white white (generally labeled as platinum).
Indonesia loves to separate leucistic/platinum senegals but IMO, they are the same thing just comes in different shades (They are priced slightly different). Generally speaking, they get whiter as they grow bigger.

As for the wild caught variant:
I generally like to split them up as West African senegals and East African senegals.
West African senegals generally include: Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Congo, etc. Those generally look the same to me.I don't really see any significant difference.

As for East African: Most popular one I'm aware of is Lake Turkana ones. Those are probably the only wild caught senegals that have a different shape and get much larger than their West African counterpart. Recently, Japan has been trying to get Senegals from Nile River too so that'll be interesting to see if those are similiar to the Lake Turkana since it's in the East too.
That's an info dump, wow.

I'm curious what an orangish golden would look like, and I had no idea there were albino marbles. What do they look like?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I'd probably just see differences between individual fish at that point haha.

That's an info dump, wow.

I'm curious what an orangish golden would look like, and I had no idea there were albino marbles. What do they look like?
Here is my brighter golden sen (orangish). My other ones are more brownish/bronze. Albino marble just look like an albino senegal but with marbling.

IMG_0684.jpeg

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
Here is my brighter golden sen (orangish). My other ones are more brownish/bronze. Albino marble just look like an albino senegal but with marbling.

View attachment 1540359
Oh
My
God

I NEED ONE OF THOSE! That is gorgeous!

Any idea where to look for these? I have two bronze ones, but this... It is the very image of 'golden'.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Oh
My
God

I NEED ONE OF THOSE! That is gorgeous!

Any idea where to look for these? I have two bronze ones, but this... It is the very image of 'golden'.
You would have to pick it out from a group since like I said they can vary in color. Not sure who would have them now. They don't really come in often. Pretty underrated especially since they are senegals.

Reactions: SpecialKay

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
You would have to pick it out from a group since like I said they can vary in color. Not sure who would have them now. They don't really come in often. Pretty underrated especially since they are senegals.
Looks like I'll need to start hunting again. What color does it have when stressed/on white substrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store