Another dog biting story

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
That's a tough call. On one hand, its bad human behavior to let your child(unattended) hug a dog they aren't familiar with but also it's bad dog behavior to bite a human under any circumstance and unusual to bite without growling first. Most dogs don't appreciate being hugged by people they don't know very well, so kind of a natural response on the part of the dog. I would put blame more on parents for leaving child with a dog they weren't accustom to or the pet store for not better screening their dogs for behavior issues. That dog should of never been given the opportunity to bite...

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
That's a tough call. On one hand, its bad human behavior to let your child(unattended) hug a dog they aren't familiar with but also it's bad dog behavior to bite a human under any circumstance and unusual to bite without growling first. Most dogs don't appreciate being hugged by people they don't know very well, so kind of a natural response on the part of the dog. I would put blame more on parents for leaving child with a dog they weren't accustom to or the pet store for not better screening their dogs for behavior issues. That dog should of never been given the opportunity to bite...
Did you read the article? Pets alive(which I believe is an animal shelter) flat out said don't put the kid with the dog. That sounds like some decent screening. Anytime I've ever seen a kid under 5 interact with a dog or cat, they pull, tug or squeeze too much with sets the animal into a defensive mood.

I remember even as a young teenager how easy it was to get our dogs in that snapping mood if me or my brother did one of those things to our dogs.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
dog bites, dog gone! esp when you have little ones around. there is no question here IMHO.

Reactions: skjl47

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Did you read the article? Pets alive(which I believe is an animal shelter) flat out said don't put the kid with the dog. That sounds like some decent screening. Anytime I've ever seen a kid under 5 interact with a dog or cat, they pull, tug or squeeze too much with sets the animal into a defensive mood.

I remember even as a young teenager how easy it was to get our dogs in that snapping mood if me or my brother did one of those things to our dogs.

No, I didn't see the part where Pets Alive asked that the child not be placed in there....Biting without some kind of warning growl could indicate a unsocialized dog, that's where the screening may of failed.

I still think dogs like this can be adopted to the right homes, with proper supervision etc.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
No, I didn't see the part where Pets Alive asked that the child not be placed in there....Biting without some kind of warning growl could indicate a unsocialized dog, that's where the screening may of failed.

I still think dogs like this can be adopted to the right homes, with proper supervision etc.
Personally I don't think any cat or dog should be around kids under 5 or until they understand don't grab them.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store