Best fishing line for bait caster ?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
i use heavy mono on my round baitcasters but for my low profile bass setups i run straight fluoro. 10lb on my cranking setups 12lb for plastics/spinnerbaits/jigs

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
I personaly don't use one and I have caught many pike and never lost any u get the odd fray and then just cut it and re-tie and I would never use anything but braid on a baitcaster just my personal preference

Sent from my SGH-T589R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Alright thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
first off, there isn't one perfect set up for all the fish you listed. Considering how many people use 2 lb mono for perch and 120 lb braid for musky, there isn't really a happy medium. Something about braid, depending on what guides your rod has, it can make terrible noises going through the guides. If you have something like titanium guides, it won't make a difference but if you have cheap guides, be prepared for a terrible screeching noise when reeling in. Given your wide range of targets, I'd try 20 lb braid with a flourocarbon leader, 6 lb for perch, bass and the like, 20 lb for the cats and maybe a wire leader for pike/musky but a heavy flouro one works too. 20 lb braid is much stronger than 20 lb mono. People have been disappointed when they catch what they think are line class record fish on 20 lb braid only to have the line test out at double or even triple what it is supposed to be. The point is, braid is crazy strong stuff which will cut your hands up if you're not careful. Good luck however you decide. I can't wait for open water again. Salmon, lakers and walleye here I come!

If it were me I would spool it up with some 12 lb zozuri hybrid line and call it a day. I'm a bit of an ultralight fisherman though and rarely use heavier than 6 lb test, even for stripers and big pike. I use a leader for pike though. You'll catch more fish with light line, I guarantee it.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
first off, there isn't one perfect set up for all the fish you listed. Considering how many people use 2 lb mono for perch and 120 lb braid for musky, there isn't really a happy medium. Something about braid, depending on what guides your rod has, it can make terrible noises going through the guides. If you have something like titanium guides, it won't make a difference but if you have cheap guides, be prepared for a terrible screeching noise when reeling in. Given your wide range of targets, I'd try 20 lb braid with a flourocarbon leader, 6 lb for perch, bass and the like, 20 lb for the cats and maybe a wire leader for pike/musky but a heavy flouro one works too. 20 lb braid is much stronger than 20 lb mono. People have been disappointed when they catch what they think are line class record fish on 20 lb braid only to have the line test out at double or even triple what it is supposed to be. The point is, braid is crazy strong stuff which will cut your hands up if you're not careful. Good luck however you decide. I can't wait for open water again. Salmon, lakers and walleye here I come!

If it were me I would spool it up with some 12 lb zozuri hybrid line and call it a day. I'm a bit of an ultralight fisherman though and rarely use heavier than 6 lb test, even for stripers and big pike. I use a leader for pike though. You'll catch more fish with light line, I guarantee it.
Hey thanks for the info I'm planning to get 65lb braid because I wanna use some top water frogs and a fluorocarbon leader I'm more of a heavy duty fisher lol and my guides are titanium because I heard braid can cut through guide so I got titanium from the beginning.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts

And 65 lb braid is also alright for medium saltwater fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store