Bichir tank mates and plants

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I cast a vote for flying foxes or Siamese Algae Eaters. Common plecos are not a good idea, especially considering you don't have nearly enough space for one. Common plecos get huge...like two feet long; you only have a 75-gallon tank. They also don't eat algae; they tend to eat leftover food unless they are starving.

If you want a pleco that actually eats algae, do Bristlenose plecos. They are much smaller and much more manageable (and they come with different personalization features, lol). They stay around the 5-6 inch mark, and you can have multiple, although it will be a poop fest (as with any pleco) that you will have to clean up constantly. Now that I think about it, that might be good for your plants since they need fertilizer, so the poop fest might not be that bad.
I forgot about the bristlenose pleco. They go well with bichirs. I kept one with a senegal bichir in a 55 gallon for years together. No problems at all.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
OK I did a nitrite and nitrate test kit and my water is good. I am very grateful for all the help. Thank you very much. I do have a question though is it possible to put cleaner shrimp in the tank with the bichirs? I know they might eventually get eaten, but my idea is to have something that might be able to hide in the plants and also clean off all the algae and other growth in the tank since a lot of it, has settled on the plants. What would you recommend for getting the algae off the plants?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I am sorry for the response. I woke up maybe an hour ago I literally just did my research on the fish that you recommended and I realize that I didn’t even do the research ahead of time before asking about the shrimp. I do intend to do more research about the bristlenose Pleco so thank you for that information.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I got 2 snails 5 more Congo tetras and that night I saw this 20A0C2D6-D968-4C83-BF9E-062F5C81E05C.jpegmy albino Senegal on top of my delhezi. Is this normal? Or was it just a funny coincidence?

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I know I haven’t been on this group for a long time, but here is an update my bichirs are doing great they are all around 4 to 5 inches in length, except for the delhezi, and my big albino Senegal ate all five of the new Congo tetras. I recently looked into big bichirs like the saddled endlicheri bichir and the lapradei bichir and was wondering if I could keep them in my 75 gallon with my senigal’s and delhezi until I can get a bigger tank to transfer them into. Would I be able to keep them with a senigal is long-term it if I got a bigger tank? I do intend to transfer the delhezi to a new tank to grow him out. If this is possible, how big of a tank would I need to house all of them together? i’m thinking already that I might just do a delhezi only tank or a tank with just small bichirs. Any ideas or recommendations?

Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store