Black shark - Labeo chrysophekadion - 1 for 3; ~10" presently

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
When I pulled my black shark out, it looked around 18". Anyhow, here is how it has gotten a 100x upgrade:

Two other labeo species in there too, although to be honest, not that lively a set of fish.
What other Labeo in there?

Funny, I have just got an Incisilabeo (aka Bangana) behri from Jeff Rapps. A small guy, ~4"-5" but pesky already. Got a bunch of grow-out carps in that 240 gal - Labeomajor, microlepis, macrolepidota, sinensis, douronensis, wetmorei, benazi, some unknown barb, etc.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
When I pulled my black shark out, it looked around 18". Anyhow, here is how it has gotten a 100x upgrade:

What other Labeo in there?

Funny, I have just got an Incisilabeo (aka Bangana) behri from Jeff Rapps. A small guy, ~4"-5" but pesky already. Got a bunch of grow-out carps in that 240 gal - Labeomajor, microlepis, macrolepidota, sinensis, douronensis, wetmorei, benazi, some unknown barb, etc.

Great video. Wish I had those kinda facilities

Funny you should mention the giant gourami, I’ve had a couple of red finned GG, they were both complete a-holes once they reached a foot.

To be honest, not entirely sure what the other two labeos are, and I’d moved on three other types over the years, plus lost a couple as well. I like Labeo’s... lol.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great video. Wish I had those kinda facilities

Funny you should mention the giant gourami, I’ve had a couple of red finned GG, they were both complete a-holes once they reached a foot.

To be honest, not entirely sure what the other two labeos are, and I’d moved on three other types over the years, plus lost a couple as well. I like Labeo’s... lol.
Thank you, mate.

As for the GG's, I guess it varies from tank to tank. We have currently 4 RTGG, 3 osphronemus - one normal grey and two pink, and 2 elephant ear GGs, aka exodon. Lost a few over years. They surely can be problematic from bullying tank mates to biting through EDPM rubber liner. But we have found more tank mate combos that work than those that don't. Just sharing.

You like Labeos? Haha... you must like problems... but they are characters for sure :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The survivor shark has been doing well. Spent about a year in the 25K, then I had to pull it out because the sturgeon went in and the sharks would take swipes at sturgeon slime it seems, so it was transferred back into one of the 240 gal:

100_9185.JPG100_9186.JPG100_9187.JPG100_9188.JPG

I don't remember if I have ever mentioned the other shark in this thread, which was donated to us perhaps 3-4 years ago or so. This one was bigger to start with and had a dent in the head, so I could tell them apart. It too spent a year in the 25K and it too had to be pulled out but while I was deciding where to place it and held it in the hospital / QT tank (120 gal 1/3 full), it couldn't take it after a couple of days and jumped out to my surprise. Turns out they are good jumpers if they really have to bail...

You can see the dent behind the eye a bit higher up. It was 17", so from 11" to 17" in about 3.5 years. The one still alive is then probably around 16", slightly smaller. (It flopped on the floor for some time and then started to dry up before I found it).

100_9133.JPG100_9134.JPG100_9135.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Black shark's peaceful reign is shattered by an introduction of a Distochodus sexfasciatus:

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sexi's saga lives on. Sexi the Disichodus sexfasciatus tried hard but couldn't muster it within himself to be tolerant in its 5th tank in 3 months but this time the old resident Sharkie the black shark minnow departs for 1800 gal:

• Love
Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Love this behaviour of going round seeing who moves out of his way and who doesn’t, then testing who scatters if he speeds up. You may find those that do will become his choice for fish to chase when he gets bored, less so the ones who don’t join in his game., they are not worth chasing. Plenty of fish in there to share any aggression but hope it’s the same as mine and just some harmless chasing.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store