MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Awesome tank and black shark. I can't even make sense of all the panels and seams holding that crazy tank together. So much for all the folks who say they are too aggressive for any tank mates. All you need is a huge tank and lots of other monsters lol.
Lol, maybe that's the key to successful cohabitation of monsters. :)

Keep them so confused that they can't figure out who is living with them, or next door to them, or who's new or not new...

"I'm gonna bite this guy...wait, he's in the next tank over...but this guy is asking for it...oops, nope, he's gone too...I don't like the looks of that new guy over there...no, wait, he's the same one I saw here earlier...if I follow him over there...huh?...how did I wind up in this tank?...hey, who the hell are you?...how'd I get back over here again...???" :nilly:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The sabbatical in 1800 gal is over for Sharkie. It stressed the newly-introduced and hypersensitive dorado catfish with its signature annoying mouthing / mouth placing, so it had to move back to a 240 gal.

3:50-4:15 min

Reactions: jeaninel

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sharkie the black shark was downgraded almost 2 months ago from 1800 gal to 240 gal. In the first weeks it had been receiving a non-welcome from the common pleco resident, which would chase it away from its whereabouts, especially during feeding, by trying to suck up to the shark, and the shark would escape quickly without answering back. Nowadays all is well and the pleco doesn't bug Sharkey in the past weeks, not that I noticed anyway.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I remember getting a tiny one of these when i was 17 for my 2ft tank. I thought it was just a redtail shark without the red tail.
Certainly caused chaos over a few months and was the first time i ever took a fish back to the shop for a refund.

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Good to hear he is settled in after the downgrade.
In 1987 I bought a white one which grew to 12” in my 4 ft tank before getting a large tumour and having to be euthanised.
I’ve never seen a white one since so still not sure if it was truly a black shark but not even ever seen even albino ones since then.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The new TSN from Matthew added 4 inches in 2 months and likely started to bother the smallest tank mates - the smallest glass catfish and chinese hifin, so trying it in a different 240 gal tank, where Sharky the black shark resides:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store