building a 1000 gal concrete block monster tank

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I just want to tell my experience with Pond Armor after reading about the problems you were having with Sanitred. The Pond Armor is expensive and I didn't get nearly the coverage I thought I would either. I also had a problem with pin holes on my poured concrete basement walls.

But, this was all anticipated. I kinda figured my walls would soak up the product a bit, and I applied a thicker coating than they called for just for my own piece of mind after comparing in my mind the hassle of having to redo this vs paying extra to be sure it was done right the first time. If I tried to get the advertised coverage, I have the feeling I would probably be dealing with some problems like you were.

Its pretty obvious that any company in the market to make money will advertise their product in the best possible light. It doesn't mean they are lying. This Pondarmor is amazing stuff, and I have no doubt that if you had a perfect substrate to apply it to, you could get away with their 60sqft per half gallon as they advertise. Its not in their interest to say that your application can easily take 10 times as much though.

But even with this thick coating..(pondarmor claims a 10mil coating..about a normal layer of paint-- I applied it about a 1/16th inch thick instead) I got lots of pin-holes. I spent a long time going over it fixing these holes. Some places on the wall were so bad with the pin holes that i had to put a chalk grid down and work one square foot at a time to help me get them all.

But this wasn't the products fault but they way I used putty spreaders to apply it. And I knew better than to try filling it until I was certain all holes were filled. IF I did try, the water getting into the concrete behind the Pondarmor would probably have ruined the entire application.

From a customer service angle, Butch at Pondarmor has only ever been promptly helpful and polite.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
But you have my sympathy. After re-reading my post I see how it might sound like I'm preaching.. it wasn't my intent. I guess if I was trying to make any point its that any product has its pro's and con's. And if you're experience from a service prospective is being accurately portrayed, then that's a real bummer.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
wizzin;1836801; said:
Wow. I must have missed the action. I'm sorry to say that I have no updates. I've been wrapped up in other projects lately, and haven't had the funds to finish the big tank. I'll finish it eventually. I probably wont update this thread since it's full of so much garbage. I plan on making a condensed thread here once it's running.
no real "Action" just some baggin on ya for nothin ... we got yo back though ;)

Good luck with getting the tank completed sometime in the near future ;) Don't make me come down there and help ya do it :ROFL:

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
wizzin;1836801; said:
Wow. I must have missed the action. I'm sorry to say that I have no updates. I've been wrapped up in other projects lately, and haven't had the funds to finish the big tank. I'll finish it eventually. I probably wont update this thread since it's full of so much garbage. I plan on making a condensed thread here once it's running.
Great idea; can't wait (but I will) to see the project completed !!

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Raally nice build , i wish i had the the space and the money for some thing like that .

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
spiff;1837361; said:
I just want to tell my experience with Pond Armor after reading about the problems you were having with Sanitred. The Pond Armor is expensive and I didn't get nearly the coverage I thought I would either. I also had a problem with pin holes on my poured concrete basement walls.

But, this was all anticipated. I kinda figured my walls would soak up the product a bit, and I applied a thicker coating than they called for just for my own piece of mind after comparing in my mind the hassle of having to redo this vs paying extra to be sure it was done right the first time. If I tried to get the advertised coverage, I have the feeling I would probably be dealing with some problems like you were.

Its pretty obvious that any company in the market to make money will advertise their product in the best possible light. It doesn't mean they are lying. This Pondarmor is amazing stuff, and I have no doubt that if you had a perfect substrate to apply it to, you could get away with their 60sqft per half gallon as they advertise. Its not in their interest to say that your application can easily take 10 times as much though.

But even with this thick coating..(pondarmor claims a 10mil coating..about a normal layer of paint-- I applied it about a 1/16th inch thick instead) I got lots of pin-holes. I spent a long time going over it fixing these holes. Some places on the wall were so bad with the pin holes that i had to put a chalk grid down and work one square foot at a time to help me get them all.

But this wasn't the products fault but they way I used putty spreaders to apply it. And I knew better than to try filling it until I was certain all holes were filled. IF I did try, the water getting into the concrete behind the Pondarmor would probably have ruined the entire application.

From a customer service angle, Butch at Pondarmor has only ever been promptly helpful and polite.
Interesting. So do you think the coverage issues were due to the porous block or the application with putty knives? My theory with Sanitred was that the cavities of the block once covered over with the product would bubble due to the trapped air inside the cavities escaping. I think that would happen with any product.

My solution to this issue is to cover the entire interior of the tank with metal mesh backing or lathe. Then to coat over the mesh with about 3 inches of fresh concrete. Since I'll be using spread on concrete, I'll have a lot more control over the surface, and I plan on making it a fairly smooth finish so that the pond armor adheres to it better. I think I mentioned before that in hindsight, I should have put a skim coat of concrete over the block before applying sanitred. What upset me is that sanitred essentially argued that it wasn't necessary.

Thanks for your views on this, and it doesn't sound like preaching. It's an angle that I think would help a lot of people come to terms with the fact that coverage claims can't be trusted and to always estimate over the recommended amount.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
dogofwar;1844397; said:
Couldn't you just drylok the whole thing?
Well, as it stands now, with the sanitred product on the block, the drylok wouldn't adhere to it. I know some people have had some success with drylok, but I talked to the company on 2 occasions and they recommended I don't use their product. It's just not meant to be used in this way. Not to say that it wouldn't work, but the long term effects of complete submersion of the product is uncertain.

After the sanitred incident, I'm cautious to use any product that isn't specifically designed/meant to be used in this type of application.

By the way, the sanitred that I applied to the glass primer for the 3rd or 4th time has completely failed. It cracked and peeled off the glass without having water on it. I'm actually glad I didn't stick with it. I took a bunch of pictures of the failure. Someday when i get some time I'll post them up here. IMO sanitred is not a good solution when glass is involved. Silicone does NOT stick to sanitred, and sanitred does NOT stick to glass or glass primer.

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
spiff;1837361; said:
...From a customer service angle, Butch at Pondarmor has only ever been promptly helpful and polite.
I have read this more than once concerning Butch at Pondarmor and his willingness to help customers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store