calm 75 gallon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 75 will be a good grow out tank temporarily when severum are young, but in reality, it is too small for adults.
Many people underestimate tank size for these large growing cichlids, and make "unrealisttuc claims" about what will work.

Beside physical size as territorial space, in a tank of only 75 gallons, adults would compromise water quality very quickly with their waste production, and require almost daily, large water changes to remain healthy, no matter how much average commercial filtration is used.

I would think a 6 ft tank is needed , of at least 125 gal or larger for the severums (and barely minimal with more, and other species as tank mates), and the 75 gal could be used as a planted sump/rfugium, adequate for filtration.

A small hujeta may work, because severums are too large to be attacked, and they will probably be ignored by the hujeta.
The Ctenolucius also tend to live in different areas of the water column, hujetas being predominantly surface dwellers and Heros more mid water stratum.

Because severums are omnivores with a predominantly vegetarian side, and the hujeta being a piscivore, a separate feeding strategy will also be required.
IMG_4503.jpeg

Last edited:

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
ONLY the hujeta in. 75 gallon, would work for your time period maybe, but no experience with this fish myself

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
Dueanes is probably right, my only experience with severums is large ones, but I have seem some XXL ones, don’t know how long to get them like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store