calm 75 gallon

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think a 75g is just fine for a pair of severums. Not all species reach the same sizes ime, i believe liberifer are among the smaller heros and red tiger among the largest. Then theres heroina cichlids which are known as dwarf severums. All of these species are among the more rare imports where im at though, could be hard to acquire depending on your market.

While theyre not inactive by any means, i consider severums to be on the lazier side of the cichlid spectrum. Even in large tanks i usually just see them sort of floating around the middle of the tank if theyre not feeding or breeding. Not really skittish either. So while a 75g is not exactly roomy, i would consider it just "adequate".

EBAs go great with severums. The only problem i could see is that if you do have a breeding pair of severums, the big male will most likely play hell on the EBAs, killing them or driving them into one corner of that small tank constantly.

I think for a tank that size, 1 severum and a group of EBA would be very fun. If you happen to grow a big male severum, consider rehoming it or upgrading the tank if you feel it is too cramped.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, a 75 gal tank, is only large enough for cichlids that get no larger than 7" (17 cm) as adults.
Rotkeil can easily hit 10" with proper care, and proper nitrate management, and require similar space to any large severum, or cichlid (a tank of at least 6 ft/100 + gallons).

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think a 75g is just fine for a pair of severums. Not all species reach the same sizes ime, i believe liberifer are among the smaller heros and red tiger among the largest. Then theres heroina cichlids which are known as dwarf severums. All of these species are among the more rare imports where im at though, could be hard to acquire depending on your market.

While theyre not inactive by any means, i consider severums to be on the lazier side of the cichlid spectrum. Even in large tanks i usually just see them sort of floating around the middle of the tank if theyre not feeding or breeding. Not really skittish either. So while a 75g is not exactly roomy, i would consider it just "adequate".

EBAs go great with severums. The only problem i could see is that if you do have a breeding pair of severums, the big male will most likely play hell on the EBAs, killing them or driving them into one corner of that small tank constantly.

I think for a tank that size, 1 severum and a group of EBA would be very fun. If you happen to grow a big male severum, consider rehoming it or upgrading the tank if you feel it is too cramped.
I agree with the above ^

Reactions: Backfromthedead

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
ok what about bottom dwellers? can i have geophagus?
Yes. But only the smaller species such as Redhead Tapajos (which I personally think are the prettiest). You could easily do a school of 4-6.

Also, a massive school of cories can be really cool, if you want something larger, Brochis corys. Striped raphaels are great catfish (to me, I have a pair of em, they're great) and are very hardy and can hold their own against all kinds of fish.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but based on what everyone has said so far, here are some ideas for your tank:

1. A mating pair of severums with maybe a striped Raphael.

2. 1 Severum, 2-4 Electric Blue Acaras, and a Striped Raphael or two.

3. 4-5 Firemouths with Buenos Aires (or other deep-bodied tetras) tetras and a raph.

4. 4-6 Geo Redhead Tapajos with Buenos Aires for dither and/or an EBA.

5. Convict Colony with dithers such as Black Skirt Tetras.

6. 2-4 EBAS with 6-7 Brochis Cories and 6-8 Buenos Aires (I've done this, and it's a great setup).

Reactions: Hmontoya93

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What’s a spinn eel?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store