discus in 90

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
how many discus could i keep in a 90 gallon planted tank and could a black ghoast knife and a couple clown loaches be kept in there and what kind of cat fish if any could go in there
thanks in advance
Nic

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Discus alone 15-30. I keep 11 in a 70g with UGF only and change 80% of the water once a month.
With good filtration and frequent WCs you could probably keep many more. But if you want them to breed - 2 couples - I think is the limit.

Can't answer the other questions. Avoid plecos though. They suck the slime of the discus.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I've been wanting a couple of discus for my 55 also...just started reading up on them. You have made me consider them more shekes.....I was under the impression that they are really difficult to care for but after reading your other posts.....i may have to give it a try.

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
I'd advise against the clown loaches and black ghost. Best tankmates for discus are neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, corydoras, German blue and gold rams, and Angelfish. But be very careful with angels if you put them in with discus. You can also put black kuhlii loaches with discus.

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Discus are easy to keep if they are not wild-caught. After several generations in captivity they evolve to surviving mediocre water quality, lower temperatures and different lighting. They can live off Tetra-Color Bits only for at least a year and sometimes they pair off as adults.

Angefish carry diseases that don't bother them but kill the discus. Angels also eat tetras. It's their food in nature.

Kuhliis get along with discus but they pefer colder waters than the latter. Thus the temperature in the tank would have to be a compromise.

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
shekes said:
Discus are easy to keep if they are not wild-caught. After several generations in captivity they evolve to surviving mediocre water quality, lower temperatures and different lighting. They can live off Tetra-Color Bits only for at least a year and sometimes they pair off as adults.

Angefish carry diseases that don't bother them but kill the discus. Angels also eat tetras. It's their food in nature.

Kuhliis get along with discus but they pefer colder waters than the latter. Thus the temperature in the tank would have to be a compromise.
I may definitely consider discus now. Angels and discus can both get the Discus plague, which is very deadly to both. Never get discus nor angelfish from any Petsmart, as they are imported and have internal parasites for the most part.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
i had angels with my discus and they were always sick. took the angels out and hey presto, not one spot of bother again. i put in a ram and he got teritorial on the discus and chased em. took him out. my pleco was caught red handed slime sucking and got relocated to the silver dollar tank. now i have 5 discus and 7 flying foxes (for algae control) in my 55gal and they are thriving. i have had discus now for about 11 months and they have turned out to be half the maintanence i read about and are my pride and joy.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
shekes said:
Discus alone 15-30. I keep 11 in a 70g with UGF only and change 80% of the water once a month.
With good filtration and frequent WCs you could probably keep many more. But if you want them to breed - 2 couples - I think is the limit.

Can't answer the other questions. Avoid plecos though. They suck the slime of the discus.
15-30?! Please do not stick 15 to 30 Discus in your 90 gallon, something like 10 should be the MAX.

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Vitaliy, you seem to always recommend more water per fish and sometimes you maybe right.

The majority of discus sites recommend 5-10g/discus.

But I observed that discus become more self-confident and eat a lot better when forced to school. There would be no issues with water quality as long as you don't overfeed.
For breeding discus you need like 40g/couple, and the wild-caught ones also need more room. But I assure you that my discus are happiest in a crowd.

When I had 16 in 40g for a couple of weeks that was too crowded. But, as I said "I keep 11 in a 70g with UGF only and change 80% of the water once a month." and that works just fine.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
well discus are out of the question the 90 is being set up for when the clowns and knife out grow the 45 how many in a planted 55?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store