discus in 90

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Gooda said:
Also, I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this... But what is everyones thoughts on incorporating 10 or so Discus in a 1200 gallon tank with some aro's, and a BGK? Would the would having a school make them feel more secure? And with the size they would not be competing for food. They would also have plenty of plants and areas to "hide."
Hey never mind that part, I just thought of a way that I can keep my girlfriend happy and not stress out the discus. :thumbsup:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Gooda said:
Hey never mind that part, I just thought of a way that I can keep my girlfriend happy and not stress out the discus. :thumbsup:
Share! The idea, not the girlfreind,,, although :naughty:

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
JardiniBoy said:
Hi AGT

Would you mind clarifying why this would be a bad idea? I thinking of changing my 55 to a planted tank. Considering some discus (3 - 5), loaches and tetras. Is there any specific reason why discus aren't compatible with loaches?

JB
I say because of the different water temperature, and, in a group, clown loaches will be very active, and very active fish will stress out Discus.

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
Dkarc said:
I know a lot of people who keep clown loaches with discus and have no problems what so ever. Never bother the discus. IMO, they are a suitable tankmate.

-Ryan
Not all. Black kuhlii loaches are one of the better loach tankmates for Discus in my point of view.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
my lfs is in the process of becoming an affiliate of jack wattley so im hoping they do cause then ill get some real nice discuss

Dkarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nic said:
my lfs is in the process of becoming an affiliate of jack wattley so im hoping they do cause then ill get some real nice discuss
Dont always count on it, lol. Jack's name has become a joke ever since Gabe bought the trademark name. Gabe doesnt breed and all he does is buy/sell imports, or buy/sell from a horrible breeder in Clearwater...

-Ryan

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
hemiboo said:
I was thinking about putting some discus in my 20 gallon. Could I put a handful of tetra's in there without undue stress?
NO! Discus needs to be in groups of 3 or more, and should not be kept in anything smaller then a 30 gallon. It will not work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store