Everglades Pygmy Sunfish and Co.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Got a package in the mail today, containing the stocking for my new 10 gallon tank.
In it was 12 Malaysian trumpet snails, 2 male/female pairs of “red chested double sword tail” endlers (enough names attached here?), and 4 Everglades Pygmy sunfish.
Unfortunately one of the sunfish was DOA, so I really have only 3 now. I’ll look into getting a replacement shipped out (especially considering that one looks like the only male as of now) or see if the lfs can get some in.
They are joining a group of 10 or so ghost shrimp. Most of the stocking is US natives except an Anubias nana and the endlers, so at least somewhat an attempt at a southeastern US biotope.
Everything looks healthy except that the sunfish could definitely use some more weight on them. Hopefully they take to the pellets, or else I’ll have to go digging for scuds in my other tanks.
But enough talking, here’s some pictures:
CA27037E-1145-4F04-8259-350B783BB2E7.jpeg
8C5781A3-37AE-4816-AB31-A5E2365E60C2.jpeg2A8A111A-D747-4C94-9499-03D75EE57B19.jpegB1E7FDB0-1AE1-49B6-BE17-3CEC1CC6A54F.jpeg32C41961-B639-42D6-A88D-00A85D706924.jpeg0988895A-908F-420A-96BD-4001CCD163FF.jpegEBB1BBB9-2E01-460A-BA5C-ECEFDF37EA94.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Already off to a “great” start…
These fish are far pickier eaters than I had imagined. As a result, they haven’t touched any food I’ve offered (tubifex, bug bites, and the various live foods living in the tank). I just found one dead this morning. I’m down to one or two left (one never shows itself so I never know if it’s dead or alive unless I get lucky).
Any ideas on how to get the remaining ones to eat?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I had Blackbanded Sunfish once (another pygmy species, a bit larger than yours) and they were about as tough to feed as any fish I have ever owned. They wouldn't touch anything other than live food for many weeks; I used live tubifex, brine shrimp, etc. I even collected mosquito egg rafts and dropped them into the tank; they fed on the hatchling mosquito larvae, and none ever managed to mature and transform into adult mosquitoes.

I eventually got them onto frozen brine and other frozen small foods, only by dropping the stuff into the filter outflow to get it moving. Sometimes was able to get them to strike at pieces released near them from a baster; target feeding is tough with skittish fish this small. A lot of the bits and pieces got missed and sank to the bottom, at which point they wouldn't even look at it. Always had to keep small Corydoras cats with them to police up the missed fragments.

Never had any luck breeding them. They laid eggs and defended their nests, behaved a lot like cichlids, but the young were always consumed and I never tried rearing them separately.

Very cool and beautiful little fish, but not the easiest to keep.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I had Blackbanded Sunfish once (another pygmy species, a bit larger than yours) and they were about as tough to feed as any fish I have ever owned. They wouldn't touch anything other than live food for many weeks; I used live tubifex, brine shrimp, etc. I even collected mosquito egg rafts and dropped them into the tank; they fed on the hatchling mosquito larvae, and none ever managed to mature and transform into adult mosquitoes.

I eventually got them onto frozen brine and other frozen small foods, only by dropping the stuff into the filter outflow to get it moving. Sometimes was able to get them to strike at pieces released near them from a baster; target feeding is tough with skittish fish this small. A lot of the bits and pieces got missed and sank to the bottom, at which point they wouldn't even look at it. Always had to keep small Corydoras cats with them to police up the missed fragments.

Never had any luck breeding them. They laid eggs and defended their nests, behaved a lot like cichlids, but the young were always consumed and I never tried rearing them separately.

Very cool and beautiful little fish, but not the easiest to keep.
Well…that’s great. I’ll have to pick up some more options for them.
I’ll email the seller about what they were eating there for a starting point.

Alygatyr

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2022
Fish in the mail dude never heard of that before .. Awesome tank it looks so natural have to say not heard of sunfish either but they look really cool ,afraid I no nothing about these and from jjohnwm jjohnwm post they sound really fussy eaters and hard to keep but sure your in the right place for the right advise Dude.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well…that didn’t last very long. Lost the last one today. I had ordered live foods online, but it just didn’t come in time.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Aww, that sucks. Have not had any experience with pygmies, but my orange spot and long ears didn't eat for a week after collecting, stayed stacked and hid mostly for another while only eating mosquito fish fry, another couple weeks and they are all about frozen blood worms, but the orange spots are starting to take damage from the long ear and now I need to go get antifungals. . .Lots of potential - PITA though, and if they had started hungry I bet I would of lost them before this point.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've kept Long-ears, never Orange-spotted...and I'd say that Long-ears are typical of the other larger Lepomis sunfish species, similar to Pumpkinseeds, Greens and Bluegills (all of which I have kept). They switch very easily to dried or frozen foods, they aren't fussy or shy...they're practically cichlids! Sure, they might take a few days or a week to settle down, but even during that period they are likely going to be eating.

The Enneacanthus sunfish (the Black-banded I had) are much trickier; live food only, very shy and retiring, just a tricky fish to keep. And from everything I have read, the Elassoma genus (like the Everglades Pygmy) are even worse; more finicky and even more shy.

Deadeye Deadeye , your experience with these fish seems to be very typical, unfortunately. And, yes, they started out already skinny and malnourished, which certainly didn't help. I think that they were already well on their way to starving when you got them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It sucks as it’s a fish I had my eye on for a while. Once day I’ll give it a try, but start out with an established tank. I thought pellet training was an option here, and frankly I’d want to pick these guys up at an lfs.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store