Everglades Pygmy Sunfish and Co.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It sucks as it’s a fish I had my eye on for a while. Once day I’ll give it a try, but start out with an established tank. I thought pellet training was an option here, and frankly I’d want to pick these guys up at an lfs.
Sorry for the loss
Don't give up on them .
Did you offer any scuds?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I scavenged in my tanks for them and put a few in the tank (my culture crashed a few months ago), but they instantly burrowed and weren’t found by the sunfish. I’m sure there were a number of copepods in the hornwort, and there were plenty of snails (I’ve read the sunfish will eat baby ones). I ordered live daphnia online but it still hasn’t come.

Reactions: tlindsey

Alygatyr

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2022
I scavenged in my tanks for them and put a few in the tank (my culture crashed a few months ago), but they instantly burrowed and weren’t found by the sunfish. I’m sure there were a number of copepods in the hornwort, and there were plenty of snails (I’ve read the sunfish will eat baby ones). I ordered live daphnia online but it still hasn’t come.
Just caught up on your post. sorry to here of the loss of the fish.. R u going to try again ? or try something else?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If I come across them at the lfs I would give it another go, but wouldn’t go out of my way (at the moment).
I wound up getting a few dwarf frogs though.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
One of my favorites from years ago…of course that was back when I thought they would eat flakes and pellets readily like the rest of the fish in the tank…
It would be nice to actually be able to take care of them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One of my favorites from years ago…of course that was back when I thought they would eat flakes and pellets readily like the rest of the fish in the tank…
It would be nice to actually be able to take care of them.
How many do you have?

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
We collect them wild here in SW Florida. These little guys come from HEAVILY vegetated areas. When we catch them there is more vegetation in the nets than fish. To feel comfortable keep them in a tank with a LOT of guppy grass or Hornwort, sponge filter with minimal water movement, and less lighting than in your pics. They also like leaf litter on the tank bottom. I culture mosquito larvae & bloodworms in the yard in vats for my killifish and the pygmy sunfish will readily accept this live food. They are very shy fish that need hiding areas where they can completely disappear to be comfortable. You can also employ floating & sinking yarn mops (killifish mops) for them to hide in. Like many killifish this is not a "display fish" that you will see all the time. I would contact the seller to ascertain whether these are wild fish or CB's. Most likely wild caught.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How many do you have?
Picked up 3
Five years ago I would be able to get 5 for the same price.
Best to start small though, still not sure if they’ll eat my endlers and shrimp or not.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I agree with ausieman57, give them a heavily planted tank, lots of cover. You will see them more if they are comfortable, and feeding responses may improve. Of course, with my experience with our dwarf sunfish and related critters, sometimes they just never leave the plants. That’s their native habitat, and normal behavior for them.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store