*Fact Sheet* Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus)

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
onlyreallionsfan;4992077; said:
I've done a lot of research and I know it isnt a community fish... I was just wondering if anyone has had success with keeping tank mates... I have other tanks that I could move the possible tank mates to if my Fahaka wont accept them... Right now he gets along just fine with all of the fish that are with him. Im hoping his attitude towards the others stays the same.

Mine tolerated tank mates for a while, but when she got bored....she killed them all. even my little Mbu did fine with other fish for a while, but recently bit on of my gars fins to pieces. It is always gonna be a gamble that could change at any time.

onlyreallionsfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
kevinfleming21;4992085; said:
Mine tolerated tank mates for a while, but when she got bored....she killed them all. even my little Mbu did fine with other fish for a while, but recently bit on of my gars fins to pieces. It is always gonna be a gamble that could change at any time.

Okay... I will keep a close eye on him/her (honestly dont know yet)... thinking it is actually a she... (I already know I'm gunna get yelled at) but it is in my 55g now because my 150 is cycling and my male Dwarf Puffer attempts to court my Fahaka... they actually get along well... always swimming together. I know I have to separate them soon though... dont want anyone getting eaten.

Any opinions on attempting to house the fahaka with a Leporinus Fasciatus?

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Again calculated risk and not very much information on that particular pairing. Only one way to find out, but could have some bad experiences like that.

onlyreallionsfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
Just a thought... cause the L. Fasciatus can get to a foot... I can always move it to another tank... I'm just trying to get more oohhs and aahhs when people look at the tank lol

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I get more people just stunned by how interactive and curious my Fahaka by herself is, prob also the size of her. People are not used to seeing big puffers :)

onlyreallionsfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
thats why I bought one... Im a puffer addict lol... Newcomer on this site but ive kept fish for a while... The fahaka isnt my first puffer but its becoming my favorite one that i own.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
onlyreallionsfan;4992141; said:
thats why I bought one... Im a puffer addict lol... Newcomer on this site but ive kept fish for a while... The fahaka isnt my first puffer but its becoming my favorite one that i own.

Same here, I have had about every species of FW puffer, but nothing compares to the personality of my Fahaka. She is literally in love with me too, lets me pet her, hang out with her, and even laid eggs for me three times LOL

onlyreallionsfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
my next fw puffer adventure is going to be Miurus puffers... but i have to save up for them @ $50 a piece... One thing people like of mine is my Fugu Saddle Puffer. it is in its own 55g hex tank in my room. Everyone thinks its so cool... just wait till they see the Fahaka lol

BTW thats awesome that she laid eggs for you... I hope mine lets me pet her eventually

longv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
SoCal
i have a small fahaka also, about 1-2in. i had him with a 8in SAL temporarily for 2 days and the lung got messed up really bad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store