Favorite LFS "CUSTOMER" STORIES ...

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
srikamaraja;2978891; said:
I used to work at Animal Kingdom in Brewster, NY... they would let you make descisions on whether or not to sell on a person-by-person basis. When I quit we had a thriving reef system and could keep discus... when I went back to check on them, they didn't even have any frags... so sad. That's what you get for changing my hours every week!

Right now I work Sundays at a store called PetSmart (used to be a franchise, now each one is independently owned and are not associated), I only take care of the fish, but my manager doesn't know anything about fish, and he orders crazy things and sells to anyone.

But on Sundays, people get quality advice.

"Brian this tank is green."
"Because it is still cycling."
"STILL? But I took the old filter off and put on a brand new one!"

".........."

My manager also put a hippo tang, yellow tang, two percula clowns and a long-tentacled anemone in a 30gal high.

He wondered what was wrong with it and why it crashed, I told him it was doomed from the start.

He brings in everything from the tank to put on the stores systems, and he had ALL of the media in his filter BACKWARDS. As in, the mechanical parts of the cartridges were facing the output, debris and detritus would get clogged in the carbon insert part and decay.

I thought Bio-wheel filters were fairly straightforward.
Damn if i owned an LFS id want you on my staff, you seem a good guy and have a greta knowledge :)

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
ha i love this thread..I have a story from a year ago.

So i went to petsmart to pick up some crickets. I always stroll by the fish while my crickets are getting bagged and i see this lady looking at a BGK and oscars. I started to talk and asked what size tank she had? She said 29g and i said i would try to avoid these fish for a tank that small. She said ok and started asking questions why. I started telling her the size of the fish and showed her some african cichlids to buy. As the guy walks over with my crickets the lady asks the employee if i was correct about my info. The employee quickly says NO, that guy does not know what he is talking about....I then go up to the two of them and say lady, i know what i am talking about but do seriously do what you want. The guy then comes up to me and tells me to F*** off. I then asked him to get his manager and then the manager comes out. I told the manager what the employee said to me and he told me that his employee had the right to say that to me becuase i was trying to slow down the store of their sales.
I left the store without my crickets and emalied corporate. The next day i got a call and was told that the manager and same employee had been releaved from their job becuase this had been a reoccuring event. I was sent a $50 gift card so my story has a happy ending lol

fayfay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
Scandinavia
Wow, good thing you mailed the "higher uppers".
Grats on ridding the business with useless people AND gaining a lil gift certificate for it =DD

phoebeq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
BFE, Colorado
Ok, I am not sure if this has been covered, but I get this at least 5 times a day..."you guys have any allergy-eaters?" Oh, and the most recent one was a guy who wanted an "algenator"...yeah like the terminator...and he was serious lol.

Also, young girl, prolly 15 or so, comes up while I am helping someone and says, "When you get done, we need a Nemo, oh and a Dory too." I said no problem, do you guys have a saltwater tank? To which she replies, "um, I don't know, let me go see"...

I get so many dumbasses, I can't even remember all of my stories lol :D

fayfay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
Scandinavia
phoebeq;2982405; said:
Oh, and the most recent one was a guy who wanted an "algenator"...yeah like the terminator...and he was serious lol.
You know...If i spoke english, i would so definitley start calling them that!

jdiidy271

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
new york
im only 13 and dont run/work in an lfs but this is funny but crazy. there is this store by me called tropical grotto and the guy there is a rip off artist. you guys know how mollies can live in freshwater and saltwater..... well he sells freshwater mollies for $5 and saltwater mollies for $11!!! i was looking around and listened to his conversation with this woman who was new to fish keeping.

costumer: i bought some fish here and they died for some strange reason..... why????
salesman guy: well did you change the rocks??
costumer: no i didnt think i needed to.
salesman: well you do. you have to change the rocks every month.
costumer: o ok....
then she actually buys a bunch of rocks. and its not like he doesnt know much about fish. he has like a 500 gallon tank at his house.

these two REALLY MADE ME MAD!!!!! i bought a common pleco there and a day later it dies!!!! for no good reason. my water was perfect. it just dies!! so i bring it back so i can mabe get a refund or a new pleco and he sais it looks like it got attacked. IT WAS SPOTTLESS!!!!!!! it was actually more perfect than most of the plecos i see. so he sais it was attacked and wouldnt give me a refund...... One other one was i bought another pleco from there.... ( only because he beats the prices) wel that pleco dies too the next day. so i call and see when they close and they say 6 o clock so i say im gonna go return it and they say ok. so i go there and they close WAY too early just so i couldnt return it!!!!!

phoebeq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
BFE, Colorado
srikamaraja;2976338; said:
I really don't care how much/how many times people defend big box stores, at an LFS you can refuse to sell an animal because you believe it will die due to the inadequate care of the customer!

When a live animal is involved, THE CUSTOMER CAN NEVER PRESUME TO BE RIGHT.
Petco has no policy against refusing sales based on individual customers. In fact they encourage it. If I feel that someone will not be able to care for an animal properly, I will absolutely refuse it, and my manager will back me up. She tells us all the time, that we are allowed to refuse the sale of any animal if we feel it is necessary.

fayfay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
Scandinavia
jdiidy271;2982648; said:
im only 13 and dont run/work in an lfs but this is funny but crazy. there is this store by me called tropical grotto and the guy there is a rip off artist. you guys know how mollies can live in freshwater and saltwater..... well he sells freshwater mollies for $5 and saltwater mollies for $11!!!
Actually, there is a molly for freshwater and one for more brackish (did i type that right? partly salt water) water.

brackish water : Poecilia latipinna
freshwater : Poecilia kykesis

freshwater one gets abit bigger. But aside from that they look pretty much the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store