Feeling stressed? Anxious? Nervous? GRAB AN AXE!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I provide a major portion of my home heating with a wood stove, and have split my own firewood now for years. I typically buy my yearly firewood in rounds that are the correct length for easy use in my stove, and then split the rounds once or twice to get half- or quarter-rounds for burning. Manually splitting wood with an axe is one of the most relaxing and contemplative activities I have ever tried. It exercises the body, sharpens the aim and hand-eye coordination, calms the nerves, creates a useful end product and is, IMHO, as close to Zen fulfillment as I have come. :)

I have just over 100 acres that is at least 2/3 wooded, but I don't take much wood off it. The odd deadfall, a few storm-felled trees, sometimes a strategic tree here or there to create trails or whatever...but generally I like to leave my woods alone. When I do cut down a tree, or cut up one that fell by itself, I use a chainsaw. Efficient, fast...and noisy, stinky, intrusive and generally not the least bit fun. It's a chore, and not one I enjoy.

But a few weeks back, I tried something new: I felled a tree using only an axe. I didn't even own a chopper, just an assortment of splitting axes and mauls and a few smaller hatchets, but a friend gifted me with an old but very solid felling axe with the correct handle length for me so I had to try it. The experience was...sublime; totally unlike splitting, but with an incredible appeal.

It was obvious that I needed practice; there's much more to it than just flailing blindly around, so yesterday I put the new toy over my shoulder...viscerally satisfying in the same manner as slinging a rifle...and headed into the nearest wooded patch. I had a series of trees all marked for felling; they were starting to interfere with my internet signal from the nearby tower, so I wanted to clear an alleyway through the patch for an unobstructed clear reception.

A couple hours later I had five trees on the ground, was drenched in sweat...and was grinning from ear to ear. How on earth have I managed to miss out on this wonderful pastime all my life? Setting your feet, raising the axe and then swinging the weight forward as your hand slides into position...and then the indescribable satisfaction that accompanies the solid meaty thunk! of a perfect hit, followed a moment later by the wonderful spray of chips as you follow up with the next angled cut to clear away the now-exposed wedges of wood. I had to waste a lot of time clearing enough underbrush around the base of each tree to allow for a swing, and I was very cautious about having a clear escape path in case the tree did something unexpected. These are not massive trees, mostly poplars in the 10-12-inch diameter range, but I didn't want one on my foot...or my head...

No surprises, though. The fall begins very slowly, with an ominous cracking and creaking as the topple begins and then builds speed. By the fourth tree I was already beginning to plumb the mysteries of aiming the tree so that it falls in the direction you desire. The fifth and final tree for the day fell pretty close to where I wanted it to, taking out a dead snag that was targeted for removal. When the two came down together, I was elated...and then almost saddened by the knowledge that I wouldn't get to chop that one down! :)

There's no rush, I have another 30 or so trees to go, and I will do them at a comfortable pace, in nice weather only. After that, I will have very little call for the felling axe, typically 5 or 6 trees in a year's time...but, wow, I can hardly wait for those! :)

PXL_20240102_171039171.jpg

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
A couple hours later I had five trees on the ground, was drenched in sweat...and was grinning from ear to ear.
I'm sure I would have still been working at my first one. Good for you, I hope you continue to enjoy.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's all very well me poking fun at my buddy as he goes about the place destroying a load of bush with his huge chopper, but truth is I'd absolutely love to do that myself!

I love reading his stories about the local nature, and the wilderness he lives in would be exactly my cup of tea. I'd love to live off the grid myself, though I'm not sure I'd cope with some of the challenges I'd have to face.

And chopping wood, as John said, is almost therapeutic, there's something about it. I chop my own wood for my wood burner but the wood I chop is different level wood to what he cuts. There's a fair bit of difference between old pallets and huge trees, lol.

Keep that chopper swinging buddy!

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
It's all very well me poking fun at my buddy as he goes about the place destroying a load of bush with his huge chopper, but truth is I'd absolutely love to do that myself!

I love reading his stories about the local nature, and the wilderness he lives in would be exactly my cup of tea. I'd love to live off the grid myself, though I'm not sure I'd cope with some of the challenges I'd have to face.

And chopping wood, as John said, is almost therapeutic, there's something about it. I chop my own wood for my wood burner but the wood I chop is different level wood to what he cuts. There's a fair bit of difference between old pallets and huge trees, lol.

Keep that chopper swinging buddy!
I used to live in Minnesota for a number of years, love that area which gets very cold similar to many parts of Canada. A couple of buddies and I used to go up north for icefishing, tire-sledding on the lake (truck pulls you + tire tube), drinking and other horsing around. I simply love the country up there.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, thanks, but there's no way that I am living either off the grid or in any kind of wilderness! :)

I'm less than 20 kilometers from a town of almost 7000 people; not exactly a metropolis, but large enough that all the essentials of modern life are available there. I also have a tiny little hamlet...a few houses and a couple of run-down businesses...much closer at hand. I have powerlines running right down the rural road where I live; until recently I was the only house on the road and the lines ended at my place, but recently they have been extended much further down so I am no longer the "end of the line".

The biggest "challenge" in life out here is maintaining one's sanity on those rare occasions when a trip into the big bad city of Winnipeg is required. It's still no Toronto, but it seems like a kicked-open anthill to a bumpkin like me. :)

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Lol, thanks, but there's no way that I am living either off the grid or in any kind of wilderness! :)

I'm less than 20 kilometers from a town of almost 7000 people; not exactly a metropolis, but large enough that all the essentials of modern life are available there. I also have a tiny little hamlet...a few houses and a couple of run-down businesses...much closer at hand. I have powerlines running right down the rural road where I live; until recently I was the only house on the road and the lines ended at my place, but recently they have been extended much further down so I am no longer the "end of the line".

The biggest "challenge" in life out here is maintaining one's sanity on those rare occasions when a trip into the big bad city of Winnipeg is required. It's still no Toronto, but it seems like a kicked-open anthill to a bumpkin like me. :)
Sounds really nice. I hope you and yours are truly content there. I will admit that I've always preferred a temperate climate but I now live in the tropics. You won't find me complaining though since this place has it's really good points and most importantly feels like home now.

Reactions: jjohnwm

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Thanks jjohnwm jjohnwm , your tree felling heroics inspired me to such an extent that I just had to venture into the beautiful open wilderness of my back yard this morning and do some wood chopping of my own.

Half an hour later I had a nice pile of kindling. And yes, I can hear you belly laughing all the way from blighty at the miniscule size of my chopper in comparison to yours, lol.

IMG_20240103_100939_HDR.jpg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sounds really nice. I hope you and yours are truly content there. I will admit that I've always preferred a temperate climate but I now live in the tropics. You won't find me complaining though since this place has it's really good points and most importantly feels like home now.
I wouldn't want to give up the changing seasons either, but I can certainly see a lot of appeal in living where you do now. My wife and I will be travelling south for a few days in January...we're going to Minnesota! :)

...And yes, I can hear you belly laughing all the way from blighty at the miniscule size of my chopper in comparison to yours, lol.

View attachment 1532762
Not at all; a hatchet or forest axe like that is certainly useful, and can perform many tasks better and more efficiently than a big ol' chopper.

It certainly looks like it made short work of that little coffee table...:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store