Feeling stressed? Anxious? Nervous? GRAB AN AXE!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You're not burning the wood you felled this winter, are you? My husband gets calls for hazardous tree removal--massive trees towering over houses and uses one of his lifts ranging from 35' to 100' to remove trees limb by limb. Recently he brought home "firewood" from a couple of jobs. The wood was full of pitch and burned well....burned well until the chimneys got plugged with creosote. Chimneys to be swept this morning. Seven cords of seasoned madrone/fir ordered for delivery this week.
Good point to keep in mind! We have our chimney swept once yearly, and burn only wood that was cut no later than the previous spring. We season our wood outside in an open-air covered-top gizmo I cobbled together using concrete slabs for flooring, metal and wood vertical supports and a corrugated-steel roof with a nice curve that sheds rain and snow.

The wood from these trees is going to be a nice freebie, but it likely won't be cut and split until the spring, and then won't go into the fire before next winter.

I have only been out chopping once since our much-colder temperatures hit a few days ago. The outside of the trees appears to be frozen solid, and the axe blade hits and bites with a completely different sound and feel than back when I started. The first tree I did in the colder temps was already half-chopped from the previous session; the exposed interior wood felt like iron. I finished felling that one, and then the next one I started felt the same way until I got deep into it. That freshly-exposed interior wood felt like cheese compared to the frozen one! I was huffing and puffing and blowing a lot of steam during the cutting, and once I got into the middle of the tree there was a fair bit of steam rising from each bite into the softer interior wood. With the sun slanting down between the branches and back-lighting all that steam it made for a fairly surreal picture.

Continued loosening of the handle has put my chopping on hold for a bit. I want to re-handle the axe and also do a bit of research regarding chopping of frozen wood and how it affects blade performance and also safety.

Anybody ever watch Forged In Fire? The blade testing in that show, and the competition cutting on the sister show Knife Or Death, always looked to me like it would be a hoot; now I get to do it myself! :)

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I chopped up some little bits of scrap cedar and fir and maple, to feed my little experimental smokeless vortex hobo stove.

I play with this one out in the boatyard, to keep me warm while I’m working at my crappy grinding bench.
5F19A824-2425-4A69-AF4E-7846FA9A2087.jpeg
This made a nice vortex with plenty of swirling action.

C81E0EE2-35D6-4194-A7AD-84C4B092D3FC.jpeg
Still a little smokey though, so I added more holes. More trials to come after dark…

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Ya know, there are some gadgets whose mere names make them virtually irresistible to me: Diatom Filter. Bolt Action Rifle. All Terrain Vehicle. Laser Rangefinder. Roof Prism Binocular. Motorcycle. Turbocharger. Supercharger. Hi-Lift Jack. Come-Along. The list goes on...

But I'm pretty sure that "Experimental Smokeless Vortex Hobo Stove" just shot up near the top of that list! :)

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Ya know, there are some gadgets whose mere names make them virtually irresistible to me: Diatom Filter. Bolt Action Rifle. All Terrain Vehicle. Laser Rangefinder. Roof Prism Binocular. Motorcycle. Turbocharger. Supercharger. Hi-Lift Jack. Come-Along. The list goes on...

But I'm pretty sure that "Experimental Smokeless Vortex Hobo Stove" just shot up near the top of that list! :)
That’s a good list. ;-) mine contains Malawi-Mbuna Hybrid.

I do have a list of future experiments. Mostly they are far more involved than the vortex stove experiments. The stove was one of those quickies, done as I avoid real work like shaping steel.
7059AB69-852C-448D-BE30-523292D56161.jpeg

I am up to version 4.1a, having modified this one twice already. Remember fine columbian coffee in cans? Juan Valdez himself might have built one of these.
428995ED-5948-41E7-9051-919A52203CF8.jpeg

Unfortunately, forgetting about the Coriolis forces, I try to make this one spin the wrong way. Lots of fire but no strong vortex.
88AD68F8-BBED-4F0D-A39C-1405C32A2F63.jpeg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, that Coriolis effect is a real killer...

One of my buddies is always going on about how that affects rifle bullets in flight. He actually made a complete miss on a deer last year at less than 100 yards, entirely due to the Coriolis displacement of the bullet...

...or at least that's how he explains it. :)

What is the benefit of the vortex in the flame? Or is it just because it looks cool?...which, by the way, is a completely satisfactory and sufficient benefit...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store