Fish in 86 degree water

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; To the OP about heaters. Heaters generally have two basic working parts. One part is the heating element which is some sort of resistance wire in my experience. This is the part hat is usually rated as watts. The higher the watt value the greater the ability to heat up water.

The second part is the thermostat, an on off swich in some manner sensitive to temperature. The older type thermostats were simple bi-metal strips which would bend in one direction as they warmed up. As they cooled down the bi-metal strip would bend back in the opposite direction.
( bi-metal-meaning two different types of metal strips bonded together. Each metal having a different coffecient of thermal expansion. One strip expands more that the other as it warms and thus causes the bending.)
I am not sure how the digital thermostats sense temperature and how they function as a switch.

The point i am getting to is that heaters do not need to be turned up "all the way" to produce more heating effect. If a heater is on it is producing it maximum heating effect. Much like a regular light bulb in a circuit with a simple on/off wall switch. Flip the light switch and a regular (incadescent) light bulb is fully brite. Same for the heaters i am familiar with.

The setting of the thermostat determines at what temperature the heater element is switched on. Set the thermostat for 80 degrees F and it should turn on the heater when the temperature is anywhere below 80 and turn it off at 80.

If the modern heaters work in some other manner then i am not familiar with what it is.

Reactions: CarpCharacin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store