Game pellets

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I only see 1 aquatic based ingredient in this formula, and its the 4th ingredient. This "food" is essentially all terrestrial based ingredients to keep cost low and maximizing profit for Purina, it has no interest in the long term health of its consumers. Sure, your fish will eat eat this and grow, but so will feeding Hostess Twinkies at every meal to your children

Reactions: Cu455

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I recall a discussion on it here from a few years ago and someone suggested that while tropicals will eat trout pellets and such the nutrition breakdown is different.
There was an thread just a couple of months ago about using trout chow for aquarium fish. Experienced members chimed in to educate the OP about how to interpret and understand the ingredients list.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Looks like I'll be preparing their food, haha
Sure, that's a good route to go, but you can still feed your natives quality pellets such as NLS. That's the main staple for all my fish including my natives.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
Do you know which Purina food that's is? I think they have 4-5 different ones. The one I've tried is about the size a cattle cube and is made for largemouth bass. I believe it's main ingredient is shad.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
I used that Purina largemouth bass one as an ingredient in my home made food to thickin it up.
Fresh fish fillet
Fresh shrimp
Baby food vegetables
Multi vitamins
And that Purina food
I got it from a buddy that has a nice pond with awesome bass fishing. I never bought any as it's pricey to use as a filler in my DIY food

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Do you know which Purina food that's is? I think they have 4-5 different ones. The one I've tried is about the size a cattle cube and is made for largemouth bass. I believe it's main ingredient is shad.
There websites lists 4: Game Fish Chow; Aquamax Starter; Aquamax Pond Fish; Aquamax Sport Fish.
There's also a crawfish bait, Cajun World.20150723_150147.jpg 20150723_145101.jpg 20150723_144912.jpg 20150723_144816.jpg

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
There was a thread a few weeks ago about this. I remember Oddball Oddball said something about blood or pork being used in making the food and will kill some of the biological filter. I think they are used more to attract fish to a vewing area or fishing spot and bulk them the fish up a little.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I see more bad than good in this mixture. A big warning flare goes up for the preservative; copper sulfate. Inverts will curl up and die from it. And you'd be facing inexplicable neurological issues from the 2 types of zinc included in the mix. And, nicotinic acid while being beneficial to humans can cause loss of appetite (ideal for a feed) and stomach upset/liver dysfunction in lower vertebrates.
This garbage is a cheap blend to feed to large water bodies with the knowledge that the bad components may be metabolized by the micro fauna and flora of the natural waterway. But, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen in our small boxes of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store