GloFish: Good or Bad for the Hobby?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I’m not sure if there are threads already about this topic, but, I wanted to start some controversy lol.

GloFish… are these genetically modified fish good or bad for the hobby?

Here is my personal opinion, I don’t like them; I would never buy them. But if it gets younger people (or older people) interested in the hobby, then I’m open to them. I much prefer natural fish or specifically color bred fish (Like Discus strands), but if it opens the doors for other people, then I say they‘re great.

What do y’all think?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m going to be one if the few who doesn’t mind them. From a scientific standpoint, they are really cool.
What I don’t like is how they are kept. They are treated as a decoration rather than living animals, and as such are in poor condition by the time they’re bought.
All of my experiences with them has been with unhealthy fish that don’t make it more than a few weeks. For that reason, I wouldn’t keep them.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
While I find genetics interesting and am guilty to keeping aquarium strains, line bred forms this is a leap too far for me. Anything this unnatural shouldn't exist is my take. Fish that struggle to perform as intended or have their lives seriously hampered and/or shortened are also a no for me such as deformed things like balloons, weakened immune systems, longfins reducing mobility etc and many other things. Parrots were public enemy number one for many years and a prime example of what not to do imo.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Its a pretty good business ploy IMO… the company who created them has a patent lol… Much more “ethical” than the days of dying fish or tattooing them for the same “novelty” aspect. If you dig deep enough you can find some pretty crazy experiments with GFP (glo fluorescent protein) florida gar, african lung fish all the way to mammals. Its not like each animal is injected with the protein either. Since its a gene its just bred normal and passed along naturally.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, they weren't developed...I almost said "manufactured"...for the aquarium market originally. Apparently they were created for use in environmental monitoring of pollutants or contaminants?

So, naturally, some enterprising get-rich-quick schemer thought to market them to people who want ornaments, not animals...and the rest is history.

If something can be done...you can rest assured that somebody will do it...and then somebody else will figure out a way to make a buck off it.

I'd bet folding money that somewhere in the military establishment, they're trying to figure out a way to weaponize glo-fish. :(

… Much more “ethical” than the days of dying fish or tattooing them for the same “novelty” aspect...
"More ethical"? Hmm, maybe...but I'd probably say that a more accurate descriptive phrase would be "slightly less unethical..."

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Glo fish or any other garish modified fish, whether it be body shape, fin structure, colour, or whatever, are, imo, repugnant.

And while I'm at it so are some of the garish multi coloured bits of crap that are sold as tank decor too, and don't even get me going on fluorescent substrates!!!

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Sadly the most sold pieces of decor are those neon castles etc from donkeys years ago, even to this day they sell far better than most things.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store