GloFish: Good or Bad for the Hobby?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Glo fish or any other garish modified fish, whether it be body shape, fin structure, colour, or whatever, are, imo, repugnant.

And while I'm at it so are some of the garish multi coloured bits of crap that are sold as tank decor too, and don't even get me going on fluorescent substrates!!!
Whilst initially I agreed with everything, on reflection, I keep orandas and black moors and breed Longfin bristlenose so I find myself at conflict.
Regarding, dyed, tattood or glo fish however I am not at conflict- it’s a straight no from me.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Well once upon a time when they were new and i was young i had a few and really enjoyed them. I was much more excited by bright and colorful things then and my tastes have changed as well as my perspective. I still find less fault with glo fish than i do for intentional mutations and long term inbreeding that cause detriment to the actual fish resulting from it. These fish could be inbred or lime bred if that makes you feel better about it but are no worse off for having the protein than other danios, so i don't really disaprove. Just my preference has changed to want the natural specimens in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store