Gold Wolf Pack

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
the curu already asserted his dominance, hopefully it ends there as he swam away after swimming he to check the gold out. The gold is playing with the wrong jaws though lol. Following the black wolf around now... seems like he's trying to school with someone following whoever swims around. Just followed the sun cat all over the tank.
IMG_2454.JPG IMG_2455.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2459.JPG

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
Good looking gold you have there. I hope the wolves jeff gets in are good.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Good looking gold you have there. I hope the wolves jeff gets in are good.
Thanks, he's been at the top with the odoe most of the day, he started off at the bottom of the tank, now he only goes down when I come right up on the tank, so far atleast, I think he'll be fine, the wolf seems to be treating him like the sun cat, which a couple of months ago wouldn't have been to good, but as the curu has grown he's now dramatically bigger than the sun cat and the curu has begun to ignore him completely, so I think he stopped taking the sun cat as a threat, the gold is about the same length but a little thinner than the cat, and he seems to not be a threat which is a good thing. As for the odoe and the gold, I've always noticed the odoe chase and get chased by other open water swimmers such as bala sharks and SD, it almost seems playful as he could easily hurt those fish with ease and not attain a scratch, he's been doing that with the gold, they circle eachother and follow eachother back and forth, the odoe flared up once, but they haven't bitten eachother yet, I think it'll work out good. I know you were toying with the idea of getting odoe, I'd say treat them as your golds, only difference I've noticed is the odoe goes everywhere hovering at the bottom just as much as the top and middle, the gold has been staying in the middle and on the top only going to the bottom to rest or when I come close. I think a group of both species together would look good. He hasn't interacted with the bichirs at all and followed the sun cat at one point.

Jeff hasn't put the wolves on his stock list, wonder if they came in alright..

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
I highly recommend floating plants either real or fake. Golds really like to rest from time to time in a secure location. Since my curu and intermedius like the bottom they are very often found resting in the floating plants where they feel safe from the other fish and eachother. As for odors I can't seem to shake the need to have a South American only tank. So I think I'm slowly going to aquire brycon dentex to school with the golds. If I can get a large enough tank I'd love to get 6 of each and a pair of orino.

I spoke with Jeff earlier and he told me the shipment was delayed and he would update me when they came in. He also said they are from Peru so I am unsure if they will be the same as the ones we have. Yours appears to be the same as mine.

Here is a little update photo. You can see the curu and intermedius playing nice. It's kind of everyone vs the Oscars.

1476247664433961459460.jpg

1476247701116-2117120355.jpg

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I will have to look into the plants then. After seeing it when the lights first go on I think they'd be beneficial lol. He's quite clumsy at first. And we'll that's cool still, two schooling predators lol. Wes had said mine was from Argentina I believe. And yea I thought something happened cause he had them up there Sunday just no price or specific size, and yesterday they weren't up there but good to hear they weren't DOA. And you have nice aquascaping skills, everyone looks good, you're having better luck than I did with a curu and another hoplias.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
I will have to look into the plants then. After seeing it when the lights first go on I think they'd be beneficial lol. He's quite clumsy at first. And we'll that's cool still, two schooling predators lol. Wes had said mine was from Argentina I believe. And yea I thought something happened cause he had them up there Sunday just no price or specific size, and yesterday they weren't up there but good to hear they weren't DOA. And you have nice aquascaping skills, everyone looks good, you're having better luck than I did with a curu and another hoplias.
How is the gold?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How is the gold?
Healing from being beat up by the odoe, he was chasing her the first 2 days and she got tired of it, hes scared of her now hasn't been swimming up but he's coming around slowly, she's not bothering him but he's scared, he was real messed up. Caught him up top with her a few times. She left him alone, so hopefully he'll go back to staying at the top like before, but leave her alone his time. I was surprised the first two days, cause she stands up to the black wolf but was running back and forth from the gold and staying at the bottom. He's still scared of me, haven't seen him feed. But I'm not worried he'll be fine.
Here's some pictures first few of him at the top and next to the black wolf from the first day or two don't remember. Rest after being beat, his good side.
IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2465.JPG
Some days after fight
IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
Healing from being beat up by the odoe, he was chasing her the first 2 days and she got tired of it, hes scared of her now hasn't been swimming up but he's coming around slowly, she's not bothering him but he's scared, he was real messed up. Caught him up top with her a few times. She left him alone, so hopefully he'll go back to staying at the top like before, but leave her alone his time. I was surprised the first two days, cause she stands up to the black wolf but was running back and forth from the gold and staying at the bottom. He's still scared of me, haven't seen him feed. But I'm not worried he'll be fine.
Here's some pictures first few of him at the top and next to the black wolf from the first day or two don't remember. Rest after being beat, his good side.
View attachment 1209859 View attachment 1209860 View attachment 1209861 View attachment 1209862
Some days after fight
View attachment 1209863 View attachment 1209864
I've found my golds in similar condition. They heal really fast. Very hardy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store