Got My New Tank!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Good to know - thank you all! I'm going to go with reducing the hours the light is on. Instead of the automatic spectrum, I'm going to just use the timer feature for 8-10 hours. This should take about 5 hours of light away from what it was doing.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Another thing, first time for me to see this. It could be nothing but I've never seen it before.....A couple of fish have "flashed" or what looks like tried to itch their sides on a rock or décor today. Should I be concerned? Anything preventative I could do? Having just added new fish it does worry me....

All fish seem fine and eating well, but I've definitely seen a few of them do it a couple times today.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Keep an eye on it. If you start seeing white spots, I’d consider treating but otherwise just wait and see.
My Jack and banded leporinus flash sometimes for no apparent reason - I believe it’s also a territorial behavior.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Agreed, maybe test parameters if you can, but monitor for visible spots, rash, etc. hard to medicate without more sypmtoms or viual signs of what is going on.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Thank you all! I agree on it being a sign of being territorial, it, of course, is only the green terror and the Acara that I have seen, and they are the only ones that really have any interest in being aggressive towards one another.

Also, when they do it, it’s a very aggressive move versus what would be like scratching themselves.
I checked water parameters and they are perfect, everything is where it should be in nitrate around five or less.
Just did a water change a few days ago, though so kind of what I expected

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
On another note, how can I hook a hose or something up to this sink to fill the tank about 15 feet away? Tanks near bar in basement and this would make it SUPER easy to do water changes.
I use a screw in connector on my bathroom faucet similar to these. Works a charm and does not impede or change flow when no hose is connected.
1714443251263.png

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Super pumped with my tank stock, so far so good! I also think my GT has already grown and gotten so much more colorful! I’m sure it’s a mix of the larger tank, other fish, darker substrate, and the feeding frenzy’s but he/she (still no idea lol) looks 30% larger than a couple weeks ago. Girth, height, maybe some length!

I of course can’t get a good picture when it’s really colored up….

And I did switch back to two AC 110’s.

IMG_1750.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store