Got My New Tank!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks good!
Just be careful with that acara - being in the same genus as the terror may invite some trouble.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Hoping since they’re all young it’ll work….I’ll keep an eye on it! Definitely a pretty fish.

It’s funny, the Firemouth’s just do their thing and pay zero attention to the GT or the Acara. The GT and the Acara are definitely more “interested” in each other.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Ok...brown algae. I know it's not harmful, but it's building up WAYYY quicker in this tank than my previous one. Walls of tank, décor, filter input and output, heater etc. etc. What is most likely the main cause?

Only thing I'm really doing differently is leaving the light on the 24/7 mode. Comes on around 7 AM very dim orange color, ramps up throughout whites throughout the day, and then about 10:30 or so at night dims down to a dark blue before shutting off. Should I try just running the light less?

New tank just settling in kind of?

Thoughts?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
A bit of both - a longer light period always brings more algae.
Additionally, the new tank is still going through its cycling. There’s always params out of whack at first that fuel algae growth.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Any recommendations on the best magnetic tank cleaner? Or any other items that work better? I have a small Aqueon magnetic cleaner from my 29 gallon but it's not the best....

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have a mag float on my 75. I also have a few of the aqueon ones scattered around, the only one I like was the one rated for a 125. Imo the ones rated for a tank bigger than its being used on works better.

Reactions: Kustrud

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I use a mag float, but I store it in the cabinet and only put it in the tank for cleaning. I have sand substrate and when left in the tank I have found some random sand grains on the top of the scrubber. I'm vary paranoid about sand getting between the scrubber and glass and leaving scratches as a tank I had many years ago suffered this fate due to some unsupervised 6 year olds who found the magnetic doohickey to be entertaining to slam down into the sand and then catch it again and repeat. several surface scratches on the front of my beloved display tank. An easy foothold for algae for the next few years until I sold the tank off and moved.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
That being said, some algae will always be there and is a sign of a mature tank, if it's excessive then reduce lighting, reduce feedings, increase water changes, add plants. or terrestrial plants at the top, basically reduce the algae's food source which is light and waste products, or add things that compete with it- plants or algae eating animals like snails or certain fish. The brwon stuff might be cyano, I'm not too familiar with it but i think its a common phase of a semi new tank and takes some time to come and go despite all the work you can do to remove it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store