Got My New Tank!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Noted!
Alright, I’m 100% satisfied with how the tank looks tonight finally! Only thing left to do is swap the 110’s out for the FX4 tomorrow.

Should I just stuff my sponges in the FX4 where I can fit them? And obviously use my bio media instead of the stuff that comes with it. Will that keep my cycle good?

IMG_1407.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Noted!
Alright, I’m 100% satisfied with how the tank looks tonight finally! Only thing left to do is swap the 110’s out for the FX4 tomorrow.

Should I just stuff my sponges in the FX4 where I can fit them? And obviously use my bio media instead of the stuff that comes with it. Will that keep my cycle good?

View attachment 1540363
Looks great, it will definitely look better w/o the 110s. But ya, just put all of your media from the 110s into the FX4 and it should be a flawless transition

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Got the FX4 installed.....WOW - that's like a dang pool filter lol! I love it! Got the tank closer to the wall, no more bubbles coming from the 110's, and the pipes being all black really cleaned it up! Love the actual circulation in the tank, not just "waterfall!"

Now, what is the best way to aim the double-headed output? Here's the setup! Anything you would change in a 75 in terms of aiming/placement? I may add a wave-maker to just turn on periodically to stir everything up. Did that in my old tank and literally never had to vacuum the bottom. This one's a little longer though lol!1.jpg2.png

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I like to aim the outputs on my marineland canister towards the surface for extra surface agitation. Canisters aren’t great for surface agitation so I do whatever I can to help it.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Got the FX4 installed.....WOW - that's like a dang pool filter lol! I love it! Got the tank closer to the wall, no more bubbles coming from the 110's, and the pipes being all black really cleaned it up! Love the actual circulation in the tank, not just "waterfall!"

Now, what is the best way to aim the double-headed output? Here's the setup! Anything you would change in a 75 in terms of aiming/placement? I may add a wave-maker to just turn on periodically to stir everything up. Did that in my old tank and literally never had to vacuum the bottom. This one's a little longer though lol!View attachment 1540476View attachment 1540477
Looks great, the only thing I’d change is I’d move the intake and return to opposite ends . It’s better for circulation and hides them better. I’d also ditch the sponge and get a nice programmable wave maker. It’s amazing how realistic those make your tank look and there barely noticeable . I don’t know how far you want to go, but some nice lights that add shimmer would be the incredible icing on the cake.
Here’s my 75 with those lights and a programmable wave maker and an FX2

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Looks great, the only thing I’d change is I’d move the intake and return to opposite ends . It’s better for circulation and hides them better. I’d also ditch the sponge and get a nice programmable wave maker. It’s amazing how realistic those make your tank look and there barely noticeable . I don’t know how far you want to go, but some nice lights that add shimmer would be the incredible icing on the cake.
Here’s my 75 with those lights and a programmable wave maker and an FX2

That looks awesome! I will probably add a wavemaker, we'll see. I do like that light too - nice touch!

I want this tank to look AMAZING, so I'm pretty open lol!

I was thinking the flow should work like this if I put them close together, but I probably need a wave-maker to help really stir the bottom up and get it all the way back to the intake. Even if it was on for just a few minutes per day.

I cut the hoses to length so I'd have to get a new hose to move it to the opposite end now dang it.

Also, the sponge filter is in there for surface agitation.....I could replace it with a rock bubbler or something. It is unsightly

3.JPG

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
That looks awesome! I will probably add a wavemaker, we'll see. I do like that light too - nice touch!

I want this tank to look AMAZING, so I'm pretty open lol!

I was thinking the flow should work like this if I put them close together, but I probably need a wave-maker to help really stir the bottom up and get it all the way back to the intake. Even if it was on for just a few minutes per day.

I cut the hoses to length so I'd have to get a new hose to move it to the opposite end now dang it.

Also, the sponge filter is in there for surface agitation.....I could replace it with a rock bubbler or something. It is unsightly

View attachment 1540479
I wouldn’t worry about surface agitation. I think you’re fine with or without the sponge as far as circulation and oxygen. If the fish aren’t breathing heavy or hanging near the surface, you should be fine. The wave maker would be for aesthetics ,although it would add agitation , especially if paired with some kessils for shimmer. You can really dial things in with programmable wave makers. But if you’re really concerned about circulation, you can get a small Powerhead and put it on the bottom out of sight behind a rock or something.

Reactions: Kustrud

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
So just for some circulation to get debris off the bottom and keep suspended and moving around.....wave maker vs. power-head? Thoughts?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
So just for some circulation to get debris off the bottom and keep suspended and moving around.....wave maker vs. power-head? Thoughts?
Either one would work. If it was me, I’d get the cheapest one I could find on eBay that is able to be hidden. But I really don’t think you need to worry about it with an FX4 on a 75

Reactions: Kustrud
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store