Identify Red Bellied Pacu from a Red Bellied Piranha

onesimus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
greenlawn n.y.
maybe change about half the water, always seems to work with all fish. I raised my red bellie when i had it with 2 pacus and it copied thier eating behavior eating doromin and reptomin food sticks.i never fed it feeders it was a beautiful fish at 6 inches then it jumped out from my wife letting her jack russel jump at the tank all the time

uncleman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Out There
Looks like that PACU could use some braces on the teeth !!! LOL
Attached Images

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Great read! It would have been a more than great read if the font weren't white....

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
I never understood how people always screw that up, even my LFS had a whole shoal of Pacus labeled as piranha! I had to correct them and they seemed mortified lol. C'MON PEOPLE!!

Phillis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
dude piranhas and pacus are both cool fish but pacu's imo need more work and maintenece to keep (size. holy moly they get HUGE!) but piranhas are much easier to care for. they only max out to 7in and can live there who lives in a 60G it is perferred to be planted and have bog wood/ rocks in the tank make them come out and show off mroe rather then being skittish. also try to have school's of 5 to 10 helps them out of there scardy pants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store