Jardini with a wolf?

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I've seen a jardini near me around 7 inches, the same size as my wolf and I'm thinking of buying it.

The hoplias isn't particularly aggressive right now, he's with a bichir, hujeta and oscar, all a similar size. He hates the oscar but so far has not hurt any of them.

How do you think the jardini would do with the wolf?

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Ok sure.

The one I saw before is around 8 inches, but I found another really nice one with nice colour on the fins and nice scales. The one I saw yesterday is only half the price, but also smaller. Around 6 inches and slender. The 8 inches one has started to fill out and is quite bulky.

So what I was thinking of doing is moving the wolf in to a new tank I set up 10 days with 2 oscars, buying the small jardini - putting it in with my bichir and hujeta, then when it's at least as big as the wolf put them together.

So when the jardini does become territorial, what do you think will happen? Is the jardini tough enough and a good enough fighter not to get easily killed by the wolf?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
They will not fight one another to a truce, as you are thinking; one fish will take the initiative and kill the other, who will act submissive.

I'd bank on the jardini being the killer.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
for real P45? This is just after your assertion of the wolf being the king of the elongated predators? :D

Surely jardini's aren't that badass? What makes them dangerous?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Once your wolf is nearly an adult, it'll be like playing russian-roulette. Once the wolf gets it in its head that it no longer tolerates its tankmates, it'll kill everything in the tank in one shot. My wolves always went for the silvery feeders first. Introducing a jardini may be too much temptation for the wolf to take.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
jardinis have a strong tendency to be extremely aggressive fish that won't tolerate tankmates. they bite and chase tankmates till said tankmates die of stress brought on by the endless harassment.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
But as the wolf is a tough fish that aint gonna die from 1 bite, surely as soon as the harassment started the wolf would fight back?

My wolf is not aggressive but soon started to dominate the oscar. First the oscar seemed to be getting the better of it, trying to bully the wolf, and the wolf would get nervous and dart off. Then soon after when the oscar tried it on, the wolf flared up it's gills and made a quick dash with a mock bite. That happened a couple of times then the oscar ran off and has not bothered the wolf since.

Even when the wolf is not in his cave, if the oscar went near the cave, the wolf would rush over and scare him off. Yet he lets the bichir sit next to him in the cave.

So although he's not aggressive, he responds to aggression in kind.

I can't imagine him being harrassed to death.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store