Long fin bonsai progress thread (Mr. Fancy Pants)

ar15fonsi

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2016
Hello, just wanted to create a progress thread for Mr. fancy pants my LF Bonsai FH.

I got him on June 2nd from a LFS down here in Fort Myers FL.

He is on a mixed diet of Hikari Bio-Gold (staple pellets), Red Sumo, Okiko Platinum Head Huncher, Ocean Free Humpy Head.

For treats he gets , Freeze dried Krill, Meal-worms (gut-loaded with veggies or pellets), frozen blood-worms, sometimes he will get a live cricket from the ones I get for my Panther Chameleon.

Hope you guys enjoy, Thanks.

June 2nd Arrival, he was only on that tank for 2 days.

Video (Lets hope the link works)
https://goo.gl/photos/NXeW8A74VjivgdPVA

June 4th Transferred to a 10g to ensure he ate well.

June 18th Lost some length on fins because of Texas Cichlid (he got removed immediately)

July 23rd (moved to a 75G)

Doing great, hes grown a good amount and colors and pearls are coming out nice.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Neat little guy. I've had many bonsai fh but never long fin. Do you keep the temp pretty high to promote good blood flow to those long fins? The pictures from June make it look like it's getting ready to fade possibly but the latest pictures not so much.

ar15fonsi

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2016
Neat little guy. I've had many bonsai fh but never long fin. Do you keep the temp pretty high to promote good blood flow to those long fins? The pictures from June make it look like it's getting ready to fade possibly but the latest pictures not so much.
In the tank he was before it was at around 88-89, in the 75G its around 81-83. I just upgraded my lights to LED don't know if that's why he looks a little pale, but he is eating normal again the first two days he was a little shy.

Im a little new to all the terminology, what do you mean by "getting ready to fade"

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Check the stickied threads at the top of this forum for a decent amount of fh info and terminology. Your pictures taken in june show a lighter coloration at the top of body where the dorsal meets and along the top of the fish's face. It could be the little guy getting ready to do a color change. Just speculation based on those pictures. Your newer pictures don't show it too well so who knows. They can go back on forth as they start to fade.

I was also going to warn you these little guys have been prone to internal parasites in my experince. I've got them from a couple different suppliers already having white long poops. Always good to stock meds and have a small hospital tank. They can be nice little fish.

Reactions: ar15fonsi

ar15fonsi

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2016
Check the stickied threads at the top of this forum for a decent amount of fh info and terminology. Your pictures taken in june show a lighter coloration at the top of body where the dorsal meets and along the top of the fish's face. It could be the little guy getting ready to do a color change. Just speculation based on those pictures. Your newer pictures don't show it too well so who knows. They can go back on forth as they start to fade.

I was also going to warn you these little guys have been prone to internal parasites in my experince. I've got them from a couple different suppliers already having white long poops. Always good to stock meds and have a small hospital tank. They can be nice little fish.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I will keep an eye on him, haven't seen long white poops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store