long power outages

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
sunday MA might get a little storm and im not really sure what to do if power goes out for along time. the longest power has ever went out was about 3 hours thankfully.

Mike King

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Massachusetts
battery operated air pumps will help weather the outage

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
We just had a 1 hour outage here yesterday. I contacted my electronics guru friend and he is making me a switch that will turn my system over to back up power, deep cycle battries and power inverters I should have it going in a month or so.

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
We just had a 1 hour outage here yesterday. I contacted my electronics guru friend and he is making me a switch that will turn my system over to back up power, deep cycle battries and power inverters I should have it going in a month or so.
that sounds like some hardcore stuff haha

ryverrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
SE PA
Battery operated air pump can be bought at some Walmarts - check in the sports section with the fishing stuff. I picked up 2 at our Walmart for about $9 each. Bad thing is they run on D cell batteries which are in short supply in eastern PA and NJ. If you need them check at a Radio Shack. Seem people forget they sell batteries.

datnoid244

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
So. Cal
My battery will last around 6-8 hrs if the power out, you can check out APC battery online or at fry,best buy.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Where I'm at, power goes out alot sometimes 4 hours at a time, it doesn't bother the fishes at all. Anything longer then that I don't know but i think they might be ok even for as long as 8 hours without the air pump or even longer. Changing an amount of water will get more oxygen in it. But if the power is out for days u'll need a lot of batteries for battery run air pump. if you can afford it ( I dunno how much they cost in US they might b cheap ) get a small diesel generator. You just plug it in any outlet and run it and u'll get enough power for the tank and more.

HartmanReserve

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2011
Cedar Falls, Iowa
We get short power outages regularly. Last time I used a battery drill with a strategically bent piece of coat hanger attached. It was an emergency. I would have preferred to have a generator. Some day... We have three batteries so I use up one about every three hours. It can be difficult to keep the fish away from the agitator. I just have to stop and wait for them to go to the other end of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store