long power outages

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
We've had the power off for hours/days. It's a real problem and danger to our fish. When the power goes out, we throw in a couple of battery operated air pumps and add water to the tank until the bio media in the wet/dry filter is submerged. In winter, we have a large generator sitting in a trailer that we can use if the power is out for an extended period of time. This system works if we happen to be home. I find power outages really worrisome, especially when I ask myself, "what if we're not home?"

To ensure that our big upgrade won't be jeopardized by a power outage, we went this route

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
To ensure that our big upgrade won't be jeopardized by a power outage, we went this route
Does that type of generator will automatically turn on if the main power is out Pacu mom? Any information? Thanks

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Does that type of generator will automatically turn on if the main power is out Pacu mom? Any information? Thanks
Yes, it automatically turns on when the power goes out. Here's a video:

[YT]plMHdKIauOA&feature=player_embedded#![/YT]

Here are some standby generators
http://www.everygenerator.com/-l808-c196360-A6228~18915.html

BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with Generac--I just happen to have one. For me, this generator is peace of mind--I can be away, knowing that my fish will be safe if the power goes off....We will not be doing a mad scramble, connecting battery-operated air pumps and submerging bioballs when the power goes off (once our big system is set up)....And even better, we will no longer have to camp in a cold all-electric house. Our generator is run with propane. There are generators that also run on natural gas. The generator kicks on once a week for a self-test. It's supposedly quiet, but my husband says it sounds like a lawn mower...I've never heard it, so don't know for sure.

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
Pacu mom are you pleased with the quality of Generac? I will be adding a standby generator and have been looking at the different brands. Generac is the maker I think I have settled on purchasing any feedback would be great. Thanks Ken

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Pacu mom are you pleased with the quality of Generac? I will be adding a standby generator and have been looking at the different brands. Generac is the maker I think I have settled on purchasing any feedback would be great. Thanks Ken
We haven't had opportunity to use it yet, so can't comment. I purchased it based on the online research that I did. Generac kept coming up over and over....I could not find any bad reviews on it. The one thing to keep in mind is whether you are going to buy a package with an automatic transfer switch. I purchased such a package, and we ended up not using it.

This is the transfer switch I purchased with the unit

This is the transfer switch we finally installed

I realize ours is a very different situation, as we are doing a major addition to our house. The old part of the house was not up to current electrical code, and we had to get a new breaker box for the old part of the house, and tie it into the transfer switch in the new addition. In the process, I discovered that while 20 KW would have run our entire old house, with the new addition and major wattage in the new equipment room, the generator was too small to power everything. I made sure that the entire equipment room, the new master bedroom, the kitchen and one garage door, the gate and septic system were connected to the generator. The fish will be fine, and we will be comfortable in a power outage.

Hey, if you do go with a Generac, and need a transfer switch, I'll give you a really good deal on the one we didn't use :) :)

kdog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
saskatchewan
I have seen UPS (uniterupted power system) for computers I'm not sure how many Amp hours they have or what sizes they are avilable in but it may be an option for running air pumps for a period of time once the power goes out.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
I have seen UPS (uniterupted power system) for computers I'm not sure how many Amp hours they have or what sizes they are avilable in but it may be an option for running air pumps for a period of time once the power goes out.
Don't bother. I tried one and it only ran for a few minutes and overheated.

You need something like this if you want battery back up.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE

The Generac unit is an even better option and I plan to upgrade to that once I expand and move my system into a pole building I plan on building for my trout.

I have one hooked to 2 deep cycle batteries for may small scale aquaculture system in the basement ( about 750 gallons RAS and it will run my system for hours on those two batteries. I plan on connected another deep cyle in parallel to get even more amp running time. Has indicator lights to tell you what the unit is doing and automatically keeps the batteries charges or will recharge them once AC comes back on.

kodzzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
sg
Try installing a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) system. You will need it in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store