Massivore Question

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So much for keeping this discussion on point .........

One last time, I'm not interested in anyone's personal opinion/s in this matter. I'm quite well versed in the subject of fish nutrition & I don't require links or layman explanations as to how a pellet is formulated.
There are numerous forms of "starch", and various reasons why they are utilized within fish feed. A binding agent is just one example.

If for example the starch used in this particular formula was of soy origin, such as soy isolate or concentrate that would explain a few things for me, beyond just being used as a binding agent.

If the fine folks at Hikari choose not to answer, or simply can't answer, then I guess the members here can draw their own conclusions.

Reactions: Ruturaj

rosehower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
well it could be (sorry i appologise this does not answer your question, but rather answers the reason (perhaps) that you havent recieved an official one online) it could be "proprietary information"

all brands get a bit "careful" when talking specifically about what, and why and how much, is in their food/product/ whatever.
(in pharmaceuticals we call this info "trade secrets" and we use very vague, tho correct, terms to describe these on ingredients so that competitiors have a lot of things to guess through to try to compete with ours.)

so even if you feel like you simply must have an answer about the very wide array of things considered "starch" and want a more specific answer, and you were to call, they still may not be able to tell you anything that the package doesnt already say.

sorry i have no answer. but i have about 99% evidence to back up my hypothesis.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Had I asked for specific percentages I would agree completely, but that isn't the case. I work within the pet food industry so I'm quite familiar with the term proprietary information, but that shouldn't apply in this case. At least a portion of my question was very specific, and one that the vast majority of pet food manufacturers would be able to answer if a consumer asked. In this case, that being what the item listed as "starch" consisted of.

Quite frankly the vast majority of pet food manufacturers are quite specific when listing starch/carb ingredients, even if percentages are not given, and IMO consumers have the right to know what each primary ingredient consists of, sans generic terms.

If a company refuses to respond due to the potential of putting their product in a poor light, then I guess it is what it is.

Reactions: Arraiza01

sponger_2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
USA
neil loves to just try and make nls the end all to fish food. then u look at the containers for the different kinds of fish to feed it to, and its the exact same ingredients. how can growth be the same as large cichlid pellets? but whatever, i have nls sitting right next to me as i type this. so yea, i still use it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
how can growth be the same as large cichlid pellets
By simply adjusting the levels of some of the raw ingredients, hence the reason why the protein/fat levels are higher in the growth formula.
HTH

Also their OBVIOUSLY not going to answer to us, just call!
If this forum wasn't created to respond to MFK member questions, then would someone please inform me as to what purpose it IS supposed to serve? :screwy:

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Let's just say it APPEARS that no answer is forthcoming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store